cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Api upload same file rename not working

Java Api upload same file rename not working

developersSave
Helpful | Level 6

Hello everybody,
from 12.30 on 10/15/2019 the Dropbox Api java does not force the renaming of the existing files.
Load the file xyz.pdf and dropbox, correctly, assigns me the id <id: xxx> but when I re-upload the same file xyz.pdf the rename does not work:
I expected the file to be renamed to xyz (1).pdf and the id returned <id: zzz>

I use dbxClient V2

below part of the code with which I impose the rename
UploadBuilder fileUploader = dropboxClient.files (). UploadBuilder (pathFileName);
fileUploader.withMode (WriteMode.ADD) .withMute (Boolean.TRUE) .withAutorename (Boolean.TRUE);

is there any news about it

thanks

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Apologies for the very late reply. Our forum software did not notify me of this post unfortunately.

Anyway, in this case were you uploading the same exact file content? Even with WriteMode.ADD, if you just upload the same exact file content that is already uploaded at that path, it won't add another copy. You can find more information in the WriteMode documentation. Here's the relevant part in this case:

If the target path refers to a file with identical contents, nothing gets written; no conflict.

Edit: For reference, you can force a conflict when the contents are identical using UploadBuilder.withStrictConflict(true).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?