cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Java SDK issues with short lived token

Java SDK issues with short lived token

marcoalt
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, I need some help to migrate to the short lived token.

Normally I check if I have the token, then call or execute the other doprobx APIs (e.g. file upload):

Auth.startOAuth2Authentication(getActivity(), db_k);

While now I call:

Auth.startOAuth2PKCE(context, db_k, DbxRequestConfig.newBuilder("app")
.withHttpRequestor(new OkHttp3Requestor(OkHttp3Requestor.defaultOkHttpClient()))
.build(), Collections.singleton("files.content.write"));

Which gives me a token, that then I store, and re-use the following time and also for the actual operation:

DropboxClientFactory.init(accessToken);
PicassoClient.init(context, DropboxClientFactory.getClient());
DbxClientV2 mDbxClient = DropboxClientFactory.getClient();

mDbxClient.files().uploadBuilder("/"+recordingToExport.getName()+"_Features.csv")
.withMode(WriteMode.OVERWRITE)
.uploadAndFinish(inputStream);

How does this code change when using short lived access tokens?

Your documentation on github doesn't seem to use any of this, but obviously at the next call I get an error because the token expired.

Please help

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The startOAuth2PKCE method will automatically use short-lived access tokens and refresh tokens for you. You can find an example of using that method here.

When using that, you should save the "credential" (which contains both the access token and refresh token) instead of just the access token. You can see an example of handling that here.

vewert
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I am also looking to migrate to short-lived token. Thank-you for posting the usage examples.

One question I have is, if I update my code, using startOAuth2PKCE method, will that affect my Access Token Expiration setting in appConsole (currently set to No Expiration) for other apps accessing Dropbox? Basically I just want to make sure that if I start testing with startOAuth2PKCE method, that it won't affect my current apps and users in production, as, in addition to an Android app, I have an iOS app and a Java Desktop app as well (which I plan to migrate later).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@vewert No, just using the startOAuth2PKCE method will not change the "Access token expiration" setting in the App Console for any of your apps.

vewert
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your quick response, so using startOAuth2PKCE method with give a Short Term Token, even if my app console is set to No Expiration?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@vewert Yes, that's correct. The the "Access token expiration" setting in the App Console is essentially a setting that controls the default behavior when token_access_type is not specifically set by the app during the authorization flow. The startOAuth2PKCE does set that though, so it will still return a short-lived access token/refresh token.

vewert
Explorer | Level 4

Ah, that clarifies things. Thank-you for your help, it is very appreciated.

Need more support?