cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Dropbox API with Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3

Latest Dropbox API with Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3

Jack2905
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am using the latest Dropbox API 5.5.0 in my C# project, I have Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3 installed (as the dependency says Newtonsoft.Json (>= 7.0.1)). When I try to get the Access Token, I receive this error

Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

In my app config, I have this 

<dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-12.0.0.0" newVersion="12.0.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>

I can't downgrade my Newtonsoft.Json to version 6.0.0.0 because other packages require version 12.0.3. Is there any solution for this?

4 Replies 4

Re: Latest Dropbox API with Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

I believe you should be able to use the Dropbox library with Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3. (I just tried and it does seem to work for me.)

We did receive a report like this a few years ago, but that was apparently resolved by using a binding redirect like you already have in place.

It's unclear why your error message is referencing version 6.0.0.0 though, since that version is neither supported by the Dropbox library nor installed in your project, per your description.

There's a similar post here, which indicates it may help to reinstall the library.

Jack2905
Explorer | Level 3

Apparently upgrading from the old Dropbox API to the latest version didn't delete the old Newtonsoft.Json package correctly (Visual Studio bugs maybe). I deleted all the packages and re-installed, and it seemed to work.

omarprogrammer
New member | Level 2

hi,

I'm having the same issue. Dropbox.api keeps asking for newtonsoft.json version=7.0.0 

I've removed and readded the library a couple of times with the same effect

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

@omarprogrammer I included a few links that may help in my previous comment. Please review those for more information.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropboxer
    omarprogrammer New member | Level 2
    Jack2905 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?