cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Images stored in Dropbox folders

Load Images stored in Dropbox folders

Hash Code I.
New member | Level 1

I have developed an android Application to load images from URL. Now, I plan to integrate Dropbox API with it. I want the app to dynamically load folders and files from my Dropbox to show on user's respective devices each time the app opens. So, I need help for deciding whether to go for Core API or Sync API.
Also, is this idea feasible enough (if not please suggest alternatives) & would this violate Dropbox TOS?
Please help.

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

Moved to the API forum.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. However, it is technically possible to connect to just one account. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons.

However if you did want to go this route, instead of kicking off the authorization flow, you would manually use an existing access token for your app. (Just be careful not to revoke it, e.g. via https://www.dropbox.com/account/security .) You would also want to use the Core SDK in this case, as the Sync SDK doesn't have the methods you'd need.

Hash Code I.
New member | Level 1

@Greg K
Thank you for clarifying that. I still have some queries.
1)Would someone be able to use my access token to edit files ?(if he manages to get the access token by reverse engineering the source code)
2)Any bandwidth limitations in sharing the files with the app users?
3)Any other alternatives?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
  1. That's correct, that's one of the main security concerns with this scenario. Since a client-side app can't actually protect a secret, like your access token, someone with the app could extract your access token and access your account, e.g., to download or edit files they shouldn't.

2. There are bandwidth limits on shared links ( https://www.dropbox.com/help/4204 ) but not on API traffic itself. The API itself does have a rate limiting system though.

3. I can only really provide support for Dropbox, so I'm afraid I can't recommend any alternatives. It sounds like you just want some sort of basic CDN though.

Amarnath T.
New member | Level 1

@Hash Code I,

Did you managed to do this using Core API? Please let me know. i am also looking the same solution. Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amarnath T. New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Hash Code I. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?