cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mute option not working for API v2 write REST call

Mute option not working for API v2 write REST call

Ed T.2
Explorer | Level 4

I know there has been at least one other discussion on this, but it got wrapped up in the whole "APP' directory should be turned off by default discussion.

I want to report a clearer(?) issue. I recently upgraded to API v2 as required.

I make a write call with 

'Dropbox-API-Arg': JSON.stringify({"path": path,
"mode": "overwrite",
"mute": true})

I still get a desktop notification.

I confirmed I have the latest client version.

I am on a MAC.

28 Replies 28

Jan_Zeman
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Greg-DB Thank you so much and please apologize my capital letters and exclamation marks from yesterday - I got bit emotional. Yes, please send it further and if it is anyhow in your power, please try to follow up. The time all these app notifications got discussed there and back is really above the industry standards and without any exegeration I thing it must be trivial to fix it. Many of your end users will be free of frustrations if those notification disappear.

Please feel free to contact me here in the forum if you and any of your colleages need more details.

Have a nice day

Jan

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Jan_Zeman Thanks for the reply and offer. I'll follow up here when I have any updates on this or if the team needs more information.

seanreilly
Explorer | Level 4

I'd like to bump this request as well.  If it won't be fixed, are there at least any workarounds?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
I don't have any news on this or a workaround to offer, unfortunately.

Jan_Zeman
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Greg-DB,

You replied to me back in October by "I'm sending it along to the team." and 2-3 months later your reply to @seanreilly is that you have no any news?!? Does this mean the story will stay unprocessed for another years? Can you please provide me with any direct contact of the given team? For our use case this issue is a business-killer, users love the sync story we were able to give them thanks to your API but they simply HATE the unrequested notifications. And the fix is sooooo terribly SIMPLE - it practically requires one IF statement, a one-liner change in your source base. Please read my suggestion described in this thread in October 2017.

Honestely I feel close to zero dedication from your side if the story can stay untouched for another days/weeks/months/years. Please make me believe the opposite. Please.

Best regards

Jan

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Jan_Zeman Thanks for the feedback. I know the response on this issue has not been satisfactory, and we sincerely appreciate you following up on it and letting us know.

This issue is still open directly with the team, and I'm adding your feedback to it.

For reference though, this issue would not be trivial to fix, and would not be a simple one line change.

Jan_Zeman
Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Greg-DB, Thank you for your reply. I will be hoping it gets any attention from the team you referring to. I will try to ask here again within few weeks.

I still cannot understand why this is not a one-liner change. In my suggestion from October 2017 (which is practically a copy of my earlier posts on related threads from approx. 2015) I divided the solution to two points:

1. Changes in API regarding the 'mute' parameter
  2. Change in your Dropbox Desktop Clients (both Windows and Mac).

The change #1 is surely not trivial but the suggestion #2 must be more or less a one-liner IF statement:

IF (folder == "Apps") THEN do_nothing

Your clients alrady have the concept of Selective Sync - please see the attached screenshot. All that is needed is to disable that "Apps" folder by default. Your programmer would simply simulate the action each your user is forced to do manually on the UI exposed by your programmers, that's it...

DropBox_SelectiveSync.png

Do you agree with me on the following statement - a statement I posted number of times?

Dropbox users are NOT interested in any notification related to Apps folder. The Apps folder has been designed for Applications not for users' direct usage." Many of our users write us how much confused they are to see these notifications! They have no chance to understand a notificaton saying 'Your file 489483487-384-8.xyz has been deleted.' Worse than that - especially with the deletions - the users get scared that they are losing some of their data.

I am sure this is so easy to comprehend from your side.

Do you agree with me on this? I have been programmer for almost 20 years, I am normally quite humble in my opinions but in this case I am sure my statement (and its fix estimation) is correct. The fact that the notifications are raised by default for this App folder is a bug, it is a design flaw. If I was a Product Owner I would even consider removing the option to ever enable the notifications for Apps folder. The only type of user who could be interested in these kind of notifications are developers working agains your API would be my guess...

I will be hoping you will not redirect me to any Clients related thread as that happened in the past and that did not bring the fix any further. I agree it belongs to Client code but in total I have already spent many hours writing to different threads over the years. Please help us this time and make this really happen. I do not know what more I can do for this. I offer again my full cooperation if more info needed.

Of course the fix suggestion #1 (the one about 'mute' paramenter) is also valid and in that point I agree it is not a trivial fix. For our needs the fix #2 is sufficient.

Best regards

Jan

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Jan_Zeman Thanks for the detailed write up! I can't speak on behalf of other users or developers, but I'll make sure this post is brought to the right people.

Jan_Zeman
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Greg-DB, Thank you very much for this, very appreciated. We put a huge amount of hope that the suggestion #2 can be done in a foreseeable time. I will try to follow up in this thread in 6-8 weeks. Many thanks again! Jan

Jan_Zeman
Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Greg-DB, It is 2 months since we discussed the topic. I promissed to follow-up so I am doing so here. Was there any follow-up on Dropbox side too? Have a nice day, Jan

Need more support?