cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need Bitcode Framework

Need Bitcode Framework

Will P.7
New member | Level 1

It is not possible to build a WatchOS 2 app without the containing application also being built entirely with Bitcode. So even though a normal iOS 9 app does not require Bitcode strictly, anything with a WatchOS 2 app does including the containing iOS 9 app.

Therefore, it is critical that all libraries and frameworks such as Dropbox release at least a preliminary build that provides Bitcode.

21 Replies 21

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks Will, I'm sending this along to the team as a request for bitcode in the iOS Core SDK.

Being as the iOS Core SDK is open source though, one other option here is to add the SDK source directly to your project, instead of the framework file. The source is included with the SDK download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/sdks/ios

There are some OS X specific files in the source though, so you'll need to remove those.

Will P.7
New member | Level 1

The available library does include source code, but the necessary build script to lipo the final framework together for all architectures including the Simulator is not included as far as I can tell, so I can't reproduce a clean build without developing a new build script. If the build script were released or a separate Bitcode library made available in the immediate future, that would be helpful. It is impossible to test apps using the Dropbox SDK right now without Bitcode for any developer supporting WatchOS 2. Thanks.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You can just add the source directly to your project instead of trying to rebuild the framework.

Will P.7
New member | Level 1

Well, yes, one could do that, it would be a similar few hours to creating the necessary lipo build script. All the code/imports/project would need to be reorganized to target direct code rather than use via a framework. If the Bitcode library is not around the corner releasing in the next few days, that's what I'll have to do. Releasing even a beta version of the SDK though with Bitcode turned on seems a lot simpler than having every developer go through either creating a specialized lipo build script or directly integrating all the code. Thanks.

Nuno C.3
New member | Level 1

Do you have any ETA on the release of a bitcode-enabled CoreAPI iOS SDK?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No ETA right now. I recommend adding the source directly if you need it.

David M.301
Explorer | Level 3

Any update on an SDK with bitcode?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No update right now. The best solution if you need it is to add the source directly.

David M.301
Explorer | Level 3

Greg, are you planning on releasing an update before iOS 9 is released?

Need more support?