cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need Just the Swift 3 Framework

Need Just the Swift 3 Framework

John G.17
New member | Level 1

I understand that I am being forced to rewrite my applications to use the new API v2. However, it appears that I have to use yet another SET of third party tools just to do this. (Cocoa pods, Carthage, Alamofire, Homebrew, yada).

I just want to import a framework into Xcode. Is Dropbox telling me that is impossible?

I will rewrite the applications for Swift 3 and IOS 10.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The Dropbox SDK comes with its own dependencies - you hardly expect the Dropnox API to implement everything it needs to do itself, right?  For example, AlamoFire is a very good http-communication framework that performs well, so Dropbox uses it rather than either roll their owm or use the tripe that Apple supplies.

This is the way of decent software development, I suggest you learn the tools, you may indeed benefit heavily from them...

John G.17
New member | Level 1

Thanks for your comment, Richard. Yes, heaven forbid they implement everything needed. I'm in this predicament precisely because I used a third-party tool (Dropbox). We all expect processes to be deprecated over time, but in this case they are disconnecting the API completely. I find that very troubling.

The cloud store needs of my apps are simple file storage. In a couple of hours yesterday, I used the Apple tools you denigrate to build an equivalent function to use iCloud for storage. It will be much easier for me to convert users.

Stephen C.14
Dropbox Staff

@Richard P.: Thanks for your reply and its helpful contextualization.

@John G.: Richard is correct in the sense that it's hard to avoid using some of these third-party tools entirely. If you want the least invasive way of getting a framework file into your project, then you probably want to use Carthage. Please follow the instructions here. I promise you its not more than 5-10 minutes of work. Carthage will pull SwiftyDropbox source from GitHub (as well as source for any other dependencies, like Alamofire) and then conveniently build the framework files right inside your project folder.

Let us know if you run into any issues using Carthage or integrating the SDK into your project.

John G.17
New member | Level 1

Thanks, Stephen,

I will I'll definitely give it a try.

Need more support?