cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OS X 10.11 bitcode support for Dropbox Sync API?

OS X 10.11 bitcode support for Dropbox Sync API?

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I know that the Dropbox Sync API is deprecated, but would you be able to make a build for OS X 10.11 which has the bitcode flag enabled?

I'm getting the following error (and lots of them) when I compile with Xcode 7 now:

ld: warning: URGENT: all bitcode will be dropped because '/Users/brendan/Projects/tapforms-ios/Pods/Dropbox-Sync-API-SDK/dropbox-ios-sync-sdk-3.1.2/Dropbox.framework/Dropbox(value.o)' was built without bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target. Note: This will be an error in the future.

Thanks,

Brendan

34 Replies 34

James H.88
New member | Level 1

Brendan, as of now, it seems that the Dropbox API does not support Bitcode. You can get rid of the error by removing the API from your Xcode project, but more preferably, you can switch off Bitcode as a Build Setting in the Project Navigator for your iOS app. If you're working with an OS X app, you'll be required to enable Bitcode, which just means that the Dropbox Sync API is currently unavailable to any OS X 10.11 projects, unfortunately. I came across this information from one of the engineers who wrote the Bitcode platform at Apple. I'm currently at WWDC in San Francisco.

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Oh that's a problem because I have both an iOS and OS X version of my app. So basically I have to rip out Dropbox from my app? Or will Dropbox eventually update to support bitcode? They did say that the Sync API was deprecated but they would still issue bug fixes for it. Hopefully that includes them compiling it for bitcode support.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the information! I can't make any promises right now one way or another, but we're taking a look at this.

Harald S.2
New member | Level 2

Any update on this item? I use the DropboxSDK.framework and get the same message now that I use Xcode7 (beta). It seems to be clear the Dropbox frameworks need an update soon?

• Harry 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'll check in with the team on this, but I don't have an update right now.

Nuno C.3
New member | Level 1

+1 on Dropbox SDK with bitcode enabled

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Gregory,

Anymore progress on bitcode support? I'm pretty sure it's just a Build Settings flag you enable to support it.

It's getting closer and closer to iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 being released and I would very much like to have bitcode support for my app.

Thanks,

Brendan

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No update right now, but I'll check in on this with the team again.

Anthony B.15
Explorer | Level 4

Another +1 on Dropbox SDK with bitcode enabled. Needed for iOS 9 and Xcode 7.

Need more support?