cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oauth2 is asking to login with work account

Oauth2 is asking to login with work account

samarthpathak3
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have created an app and while implementing it. During Oauth2 sign in process it is showing me login with work account message.

Please help with it what is work account ?

here is the screenshot of the error. https://prnt.sc/u2u44d

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This indicates that the app is requesting "team" scopes, which can only be authorized by a team admin, that is, on a "Business" or "work" account.

The account you're logging in to isn't on Business team, and so can't authorize these scopes, so you're prompted to switch to a work account instead.

If you don't have a work account and only want to authorize non-team functionality, you will need to configure your app/authorization flow without the team scopes. You can find more information on how this works in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation.

Micki12
Explorer | Level 4

the above explanation didn't work for me.
I have a business dropbox account - and to proceed further I am told "I need a business dropbox account..." 

what is a team scopes? - where can I find it?

Now what should I do? I am not a tech geek. 
Hence paragraph 2 and 3 is meaningless to me.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Micki12,

If you have question why particular application ask you to log in in such a way, ask... the application developer or support. I doubt somebody here, on this forum, can give you reliable answer of such a question. If you are not developer of the particular application, you cannot change the application expected scopes, that's why you don't even need to know what's that.

One thing you should know though is that such a message invite you to log in with admin credentials! If you're not admin, you cannot authorize the entire team (something the application expects), but only yourself. If this is not part of the application (you're using) documentation, signal/complain to supplier. 😉

Hope this clarifies the things to enough extent.

Micki12
Explorer | Level 4

thank you Здравко for your reply. 
I am not a developer - I am a simple user (I am good in business - but I have no clue about IT).
I just want to migrate my dropbox to Microsoft OneDrive - and of course to get trough to MS support is a
nightmare. 

I asked the question here - because the message "login with your work account" appeared on . In the meantime I realized that "work account" = "team account". 
So the issue is in UX of login at dropbox - this message is "login with your work account" and it should be: "the dropbox account which you try to login to, does not allow you to continue this process. If you have also a "Team account" - log in with that one, the process will work"

But of course every word is very expensive to write - so hundreds of IT consultants can be hired instead 🙂 (just sarcasm - dropbox UX is far better than Microsoft UX).  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Micki12 Thanks for the feedback! I'll send this along to the team to ask them to improve the wording.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Micki12 Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?