cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overwrite the same name document and NOT call it efile(2).xls.I have IFTTT set to autoupload attachments to dropbox.

Overwrite the same name document and NOT call it efile(2).xls.I have IFTTT set to autoupload attachments to dropbox.

randy v.
New member | Level 1

Can I have dropbox overwrite same name documents?

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There are some options around how to behave when uploading a file to a path where there is already a file, but this would be something the developer of the app would need to implement. You may want to reach out to the developer of that app requesting this.

Michael L.43
New member | Level 1

I have the exact same problem here

Harmonic D.
New member | Level 1

I have the same IFTTT and facing same issue. Need to keep same filename without incrementing.

Michael L.43
New member | Level 1

Hi There,
meanwhile I have found a workaround to overwrite the same name documents. With a free Wappwolf.com account you can do various changes to an uploaded file - amnog them it will replace adocument with the same name. Check it out.
Michael

extremeb e.
New member | Level 1

Hey Michael, This is good. It works nicely for me too now wappwolf.com  ðŸ™‚

Would still be good if Dropbox could provide the settings to users (at a folder level) to allow for files overwriting

hayder78
New member | Level 2
The  wappwolf.com is indeed a neat idea. However, the free account has a limit of 10 files/day.

So if you don't mind to let the job done by your working pc instead of the cloud service of wappwolf (depending on your pc working time and your requirements), you can use a free program called Folder Agent:

which allows you to run a service to monitor a folder (a dropbox folder  where you have the filenames needed to process) and let the program copy any new file into a destination folder with overwriting enabled and with a specific name.

Fortunately, it will even  begin processing with the oldest and until reaches the newest one like in this order:
test.txt
test (1).txt
test (2).txt
test (3).txt
.......etc.

SO the overwriting will be wiith the newest one as the last one.

Hope this help someone.

Need more support?