cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Padding around elements in /oauth2/authorize login UI

Padding around elements in /oauth2/authorize login UI

Olive T.
New member | Level 1

Is there any way to get the oauth2/authorize page to put padding around the login UI?

My app's UI looks like this (I'm not using the iOS SDKs, I'm using the REST API directly, so that I can present the auth interface in a custom way):

The popover contains a plain UIWebView. However wide I make the popover / webview, the email and password fields size to fit the width and the "sign in" button right-aligns without any padding, so they end up hard against the edges. Is this by design?

16 Replies 16

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information Olive, that's helpful. 

Based on your original screenshot too, it looks like you were always getting the desktop version of this page, but this issue just arose due to some styling changes. 

I'm reporting this to the team, but I can't make any promises for a fix right now. If you have a screenshot of what it looked like before the issues though, and if you could let me know the current width of your popover browser, that may be helpful for reference.

If you can easily increase the width of that popover in your app though, that may be a easier/faster fix for now.

Olive T.
New member | Level 1

This is what it used to look like:

I say "it", but "it" is a different thing to the "it" from before: here, it's the "/1/connect_login" endpoint from the v1 API, whereas further above, it's the "/oauth2/authorize" endpoint from the v2 API.

I've just realised something else: on iPhone it looks fine, albeit different from the v1 endpoint styling:

Are you serving different pages to the iPad and iPhone, on the basis that the iPad's screen is wide enough to show the desktop version, and that the iOS SDK presents the login page in a modal form view?

If so, please ask your team to change that. It's tempting to think that the User-Agent gives you information about the context in which the page will be displayed, but that's not the case. It used to be that you could assume fullscreen presentation on an iPad, but that's no longer true: modern iPads can now run different apps split-screen. You now need to take a "responsive" approach, i.e. layout differently according to the width of the browser "window": the "desktop" version of the page should reflow to a compact layout when the user resizes their "desktop" browser window below a certain width, and there should be no "mobile version" of the page.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I see, thank you for the additional information and screenshots! I'm including it in the report with the team.

Olive T.
New member | Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention: the width of the webview is 320pts in both cases (the popover on the iPad and the fullscreen modal presentation on the iPhone).

Olive T.
New member | Level 1

Okay, I've now confirmed that I can make it work on the iPad by pretending to be an iPhone:

Hopefully the team will fix this anyway. On a related note, why is the QuickSearch icon not displayed on the new "mobile" page, as it is on the old "mobile" page and the "desktop" page?

Coma
New member | Level 2

Ff

Kalsoomdanish
Explorer | Level 4
Gulalai Khan Khan
Need more support?