cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Postponed Dropbox saver

Postponed Dropbox saver

sgujf
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I want users to upload a BLOB using the Dropbox Saver. Because the Saver only supports URLs, I upload the BLOB to my server and it generates a temporary URL I can than submit to Dropbox. This means a user click on Save -> start the upload -> once successful, a callback to the Dropbox.save() API.

However, Safari does not recognise this as opening a popup from a click event and silently kills it (also, Internet Explorer 11 will first ask you permission to open the popup in the future, but this can explained to users).

I noticed while looking into the Dropbox API source code that the Dropbox.save({ files: { ... }}) does support callbacks for the URL value, but this is not yet documented. Is there any way in which I can use those to postponed uploading files to my server till after opening the popup?

Some of the files I'll want to upload are over 20 MB, so there is no guarantee that they'll be done by the time someone has selected a destination in the Dropbox save dialog.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed post. No, I'm afraid I can't offer a way to use that undocumented functionality. Any undocumented functionality like this may be in flux and subject to break or dissapear without notice. 

I'll pass this along as a feature request to officially document and support this (in addition to blob support in the first place) but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed post. No, I'm afraid I can't offer a way to use that undocumented functionality. Any undocumented functionality like this may be in flux and subject to break or dissapear without notice. 

I'll pass this along as a feature request to officially document and support this (in addition to blob support in the first place) but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented. 

sgujf
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

So that means for now I'll have to document how my users can disable the popup blocker in Safari. Turns out another feature suffers from this problem as well, so might be useful to add a note or two anway.

Need more support?