cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Properties and scoped access

Properties and scoped access

Alex1234
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!
I need to register an Android app, that can upload a user's files to a specified Dropbox folder and add properties to them. Earlier, I did that via the 'Full Access App'. But now I see it's deprecated, and instead of that, it seems I supposed to use the 'Scoped access' app. 

I've tried to register the 'Scoped access' app + App folder, and when applying properties, I got a response that Properties API is not accessible for App folders. Then I took a chance with 'Scoped access' + 'Full Dropbox' type of access, and a test user always got 5xx error on a login attempt. 

So, how the app should be set up to achieve my task? Or Properties API works only with the deprecated 'Dropbox Legacy API'?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The file properties functionality should be available and working from a "Full Dropbox" app, whether the app is registered for scoped access or the legacy permission system. 

Can you elaborate on the "5xx error on a login attempt" issue you ran in to though? There is a known issue with the app authorization flow on mobile when using a scoped app with an official Dropbox SDK, such as the official Dropbox API v2 Java SDK. If you can share the details of the issue you're seeing, such as what library/SDK you're using, if any, the steps and code to reproduce the issue, and a screenshot or log of the error I'll see if that's what you're running in to or if it's something else.

Alex1234
Explorer | Level 3

It fails with 100% probability on Android Emulator (API 26) with the next output in the log:

2020-08-04 12:07:07.474 6302-6302/? E/cr_InstantAppsHandlerI: Exception when calling getInstantAppLaunchData
    Ew: 19500: Not an instant app
        at nz.a(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:3)
        at cA.a(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:6)
        at com.google.android.gms.common.api.internal.BasePendingResult.m(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:14)
        at com.google.android.gms.common.api.internal.BasePendingResult.l(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:5)
        at YE.i1(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:28)
        at UG.onTransact(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:3)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:674)
2020-08-04 12:07:07.820 6302-6302/? I/chatty: uid=10043(u0_a43) com.android.chrome identical 1 line
2020-08-04 12:07:08.923 6302-6302/? E/cr_InstantAppsHandlerI: Exception when calling getInstantAppLaunchData
    Ew: 19500: Not an instant app
        at nz.a(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:3)
        at cA.a(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:6)
        at com.google.android.gms.common.api.internal.BasePendingResult.m(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:14)
        at com.google.android.gms.common.api.internal.BasePendingResult.l(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:5)
        at YE.i1(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:28)
        at UG.onTransact(chromium-Monochrome.aab-stable-410410171:3)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:674)

Had no time for proxying HTTP responses, but if you need I can share the app key

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That output unfortunately doesn't seem to reference Dropbox. Can you share the rest of the details, e.g., as outlined in my last comment, so I can get a better idea of what is failing/where? Thanks in advance! 

Alex1234
Explorer | Level 3

After the fail, control doesn't return from Chrome to the app automatically. So it happens nothing inside the app and it doesn't get any response outside. If you can suggest how I can obtain the desired information please tell me. I'll gladly do that.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

In that case, can you share:

• the Dropbox library or SDK you're using, including the version number
  • the code snippet you call to start the flow that isn't working
  • the URL of the page in Chrome

Thanks!

Alex1234
Explorer | Level 3
implementation 'com.dropbox.core:dropbox-core-sdk:3.1.4'
Auth.startOAuth2Authentication(activity, kDropBoxAppKey);

https://www.dropbox.com/1/connect?api=1&k=0g20gerflem954u&locale=en_US&n=0&state=oauth2%3Aed7c71e509...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! That's helpful. It looks like this is due to an issue on our side with using scoped apps with the authorization flow from that mobile SDK. We'll work on that. 

For now, you'll need to use a non-scoped ("legacy") Dropbox API app with Full Dropbox access. I'll follow up here once this flow is resolved for scoped apps though.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Scoped apps should be working on mobile now.

Need more support?