cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

Re: Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

fstotz
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

the issue here is that the header "content-type" seems broken on the webpage since this week.

It is set to "application/binary" for all file types.

This is the reason that the android dowloadmanager can't open any more downloaded files from shared dropbox links.

Below you will find an example get sent by Postman, where the content-type is clearly wrong.

This was for an PDF but I realiced the same issue with a text file and an apk file.

Could you please inform your development that they broke something with their last update for the webpage last weekend?

Regards

postmanpostman

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! We'll look into it.

You may want to use `raw=1` instead of `dl=1` though, as `raw=1` is meant for displaying file content, and `dl=1` is only meant for downloading:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/force-download

The Content-Type is still as expected when using `raw=1`.

sdouglasaz
New member | Level 2
Saved me, thanks! We depended on accurate content-type too from dl=1 flag.

msegado
New member | Level 2

FYI, this is still broken, at least when trying to download PDF files on Android 8. PDFs shared via links with"dl=0" or "dl=1" download to the device but give a "can't open file" error when I try to open them. The also have a generic icon instead of a PDF icon in the file viewer, so I'm guessing Android is storing the Content-Type type of the download as metadata somewhere. (Emailing the downloaded file fixes it, I assume because the Gmail corrects the Content-Type in the process.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

msegado New member | Level 2
    sdouglasaz New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?