cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get last modified date for folders in Dropbox V2 API ?

Re: How to get last modified date for folders in Dropbox V2 API ?

Jonathan H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Greg_K.

This is making it very complex and, I think, requiring lots of unnecessary API calls.

When a new folder is uploaded, I need to make a playlist from the mp3 files and share it.

So I detect when the folder is likely to be "settled" by seeing if the most recent file is older than 5 minutes. At which point I run 

sharingCreateSharedLinkWithSettings for each file to generate a playlist to save an API call each time.

But what if an item gets added, removed or changed? There is no way of knowing which item, so I have to run the create link on all the items, each time, with
result.url...
or "catch" the error, and then look for result.error.error.shared_link_already_exists.metadata.url

To have content_hash on folders would be amazing and save all those calls!

(To have public-style folders back would be even more amazing!)

Unless I am missing a trick here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To monitor changes on a folder like this, I recommend using the cursor functionality offered by /2/files/list_folder[/continue]. You can store the latest returned 'cursor' from any /2/files/list_folder[/continue] result, and then later call back to /2/files/list_folder/continue to get information about only what's changed since you last called. That way you don't have to process everything over again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To monitor changes on a folder like this, I recommend using the cursor functionality offered by /2/files/list_folder[/continue]. You can store the latest returned 'cursor' from any /2/files/list_folder[/continue] result, and then later call back to /2/files/list_folder/continue to get information about only what's changed since you last called. That way you don't have to process everything over again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?