cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Error Strategies?

Recommended Error Strategies?

TK K.
New member | Level 1

After successfully integrating DropBox into an iOS app in the expected cases, I decided to do some nasty things and learn more about error handling.

Namely I went and deleted the DropBox App/MyAppName folder on the dropbox, then let the app go for it. I started getting 401 errors "User has removed their App folder." - so I went about handling this error by requiring the user to reauthenticate completely

Now I am wondering what other errors unrelated to things done in my app do I need to be aware of and how should I handle them? Of course connectivity errors are easy, but is there a specific reference showing all the DB errors and anything about what generates them and how an app should respond?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

What API/SDK are you using in particular?

TK K.
New member | Level 1

ios

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the Dropbox SDK you're using (if any). For example, are you using the Dropbox iOS Core SDK for API v1, or the newer SwiftyDropbox SDK for API v2?

TK K.
New member | Level 1

v1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

So are you using the SDK or calling the API directly?

TK K.
New member | Level 1

I am using the SDK for which there is no documentation - so I am looking for a reference that teaches the error codes that are passed on and how a well behaved DB app should handle them. I already figured out any 401 errors require total reauthentication.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! Yes, unfortunately we don't have good documentation around this for the iOS Core SDK. (If you're just starting out and can use Swift though, you may want to use the Dropbox SwiftyDropbox SDK instead, which has better documentation and more explicit error handling.) 

Anyway, it sounds like you've already handled sessionDidReceiveAuthorizationFailure on DBSession. That covers authorization failures. 

For other errors, you should make sure to implement the error callbacks for whatever methods you're using. You can find the full list in DBRestClient.h, along with some more comments about them. 

TK K.
New member | Level 1

There really is no documentation in the Swifty docs that discusses what you should do when various errors do occur - the closest I could find is here - https://www.dropbox.com/developers-v1/core/docs under the Standard API Errors section. THanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TK K. New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?