cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refreshing short lived access token after expiry

Refreshing short lived access token after expiry

TarunK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I login into my personal account, create an app in the app console and generate an short-lived access token. After this token has expired, can I use it to generate a new access token programmatically without the need for login in again?. 

If yes, is it the same for team(enterprise) account as well

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, it is not possible to use a short-lived access token to programmatically generate another access token. If you need long-term access without manual user intervention, you should use the OAuth flow to get a refresh token, which can be used to programmatically retrieve new short-lived access tokens on demand. Please refer to the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation for more information on doing so.

This works the same way for both Business/Enterprise and non-Business/Enterprise accounts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, it is not possible to use a short-lived access token to programmatically generate another access token. If you need long-term access without manual user intervention, you should use the OAuth flow to get a refresh token, which can be used to programmatically retrieve new short-lived access tokens on demand. Please refer to the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation for more information on doing so.

This works the same way for both Business/Enterprise and non-Business/Enterprise accounts.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?