cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Route error for shared link - SwiftyDropbox

Route error for shared link - SwiftyDropbox

narner
Explorer | Level 4

I'm using the Dropbox Swift SDK in my iOS app, and am currently trying to figure out what the proper response is for an error I've encountered. 

My basic flow is that a PDF gets uploaded to the app's folder in Dropbox, and then a shared link is retrieved for that file. Below is my code for this:

let request = client!.files.upload(path: "/My.pdf", input: pdf)
            .response { response, error in
                if let response = response {
                    print(response)
                } else if let error = error {
                    print(error)
                }
            }
            .progress { progressData in
                print(progressData)
        }

client?.sharing.createSharedLinkWithSettings(path: "/Pinch.pdf").response { response, error in
            if let link = response {
                self.pinchDropboxLink = link.url
                print(link)
            } else {
                print(error!)
            }
        }

This works as expected the first time. However, on the second time the code runs, I get this response...which occurs repeadelty, even after I've  manually deleted the old file from the Dropbox folder:

API route error - {
    ".tag" = path;
    reason =     {
        ".tag" = conflict;
        conflict =         {
            ".tag" = file;
        };
    };
    "upload_session_id" = "AAAAAAAAIWbPobc-HKe-gA";
}
API route error - {
    ".tag" = "shared_link_already_exists";
}

What's the best way to resolve this / work around in this scenario? 

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56569788/route-error-for-shared-link-swiftydropbox ]

When uploading a file using upload, the 'path/conflict/file' error means that "There’s a file in the way.". That's expected after the initial upload. Unless you need to change the file's contents, you don't need to make the upload call again.

If you delete the file, the upload call should work again once. You mentioned you deleted the file before trying this again, but please double check that you deleted the correct one. For instance, if your app is registered for the "app folder" permission, your app will upload inside its own special app folder, by default at "/Apps/<app folder name>".

Likewise, once you've already created a shared link for a file, you can't create another one. You'll get the 'shared_link_already_exists' error if you try to do so. You can instead retrieve existing shared links using listSharedLinks.

narner
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Greg, thanks for the info here!

Hmm, yes; I double checked the app's folder and made sure to delete the file from there, but the error still seems to occur just the same. 

Additionally, what I'm needing to do is upload the *modifications* to the file...is there a way to upload changes to a file in addition to keeping the shared link? 

Thank you!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you're deleting the file first, you shouldn't get the conflict error. I'll follow up with you privately to try to troubleshoot that directly.

And yes, to upload new versions of an existing file, you should use upload again. You should send the data for the new version of the file, and specify the 'update' (preferably), or otherwise 'overwrite', WriteMode as the 'mode' parameter. That won't interfere with the shared link. The existing shared link will reference the latest version of the file.

Need more support?