cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search endpoint returning 500 internal server error

Search endpoint returning 500 internal server error

Didstopia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This same API has been working solidly for years, but now in the past 2-ish days it has been returning more and more errors.

Sometimes it works for quite a while, but sometimes it keeps erroring for every single request.

This is happening to several dozen people at the moment, although all using the same app.

SDK doesn't seem to matter, as I'm seeing it on very old as well as the very latest versions (Objective-C/iOS).

Couldn't find anyone else reporting this and all the status pages and blogs aren't mentioning this either, so I'm assuming it's a new bug/issue.

More error context:

DropboxInternalServerError[{
    ErrorContent = nil;
    RequestId = 69738b83eefc634b2c5058b038aa0dd0;
    StatusCode = 500;
    UserMessage = nil;
}];
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This should be resolved now. Please let us know if you're still seeing any issues. Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report! We're looking into it. I'll follow up here once I have an update on this.

Didstopia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just in case this information is useful, there are about 50 users every day, using about 10-20k API calls total.

The issue might be worse the more API calls there are, but this is purely a guess and nothing more.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the information!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This should be resolved now. Please let us know if you're still seeing any issues. Thanks!

Didstopia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The errors actually "magically" went away about 24+ hours after reporting it.

Can you give any details as to what was wrong and if anything was actually fixed?

I'm also wondering if it was caused by the legacy permissions/scopes, which I migrated to the new system, so if this was actually what fixed it, but just rolled out slowly/took a day to apply?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming! This was an issue with the search backend that the engineering team worked to resolve. This wasn't related to the scopes migration.

jenkinspps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible that this issue has happened again?

My nightly script began failing on the 8th of December with error 500 Internal Server Error when accessing https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/search.

The same script has been running successfully for months.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@jenkinspps Can you share a few sample X-Dropbox-Request-Id response header values for the issue you're currently seeing? Thanks in advance! 

jenkinspps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks @Greg-DB.

My script did not log the response headers but I've made it do so now.

I re-ran it a few minutes ago and the Request-Id was 7ea42fec60c3447e9939ec1565fda7dc.

The error was still 500.

Need more support?