cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching using search_v2 not searching in all directory

Searching using search_v2 not searching in all directory

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When i use the api search_v2 to search for a file by file name it do search only on the APP Folder that was created by api, and it does not search in the whole Dropbox.

Any solution for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks to Здравко for helping troubleshoot this.

@amjadkhalil If you're still unable to get the expected results, we can help look into this specifically. In that case, you can open an API ticket here and share the following details:

• the registered name of the API app for the access token you're using
  • the name and version number of the platform and SDK/library you are using, if any
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s) and parameter value(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the affected account ID(s)
  • the output you are currently getting
  • a sample of the expected output

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @amjadkhalil,

Since your application uses app folder, it has lost access to the rest of entire user content. This is possible mistake at application creation time. You will need to recreate the application with full dropbox access, if you really need such. 😉

Hope this helps.

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that there is new option where you choose the whole dropbox application but it is still not retriving all results . it retrive only the files or data created by user.

I did try by genrate bearer and by oauth2 flow.Am still getting only the files or data created by user.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hello again @amjadkhalil,

I have no idea what exactly you have tried, but as far as I know there is no way to change the type of the application once created, unfortunately. Would be fine such an option to be added at some point in the future by Dropbox team. Anyway, it's missing now. That's why I told you that have to recreate your application (anew - wipe out the existing, or no, and create it again with more care what you will select)!!! Changing permissions only isn't enough!

Hope now it's a bit more clear.

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What am trying to say is i did create another app with the whole dropbox application.But search retrive only files created by me not other users.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

🙂 Of course, any application does list/access only files granted by available token(s). Have the "other users", that you mean, granted your application access to their accounts? 😉

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No they have not.

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just make sure right now that the folder path i want to search on it is a shared folder but i still cannot search on it.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

There is no reason any shared folder (either shared by you or shared to you) to be something limiting. I just checked and everything seems to work fine.

You can look for the issue further, as trying to reach the particular file where you are expecting something to be found. Are you able to navigate, using your application, to there? If there is some issue, what's the error message, returned by API?

amjadkhalil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Am getting this error message:
Error in call to API function "files/search_v2": This API function operates on a single Dropbox account, but the OAuth 2 access token you provided is for an entire Dropbox Business team. Since your API app key has team member file access permissions, you can operate on a team member's Dropbox by providing the "Dropbox-API-Select-User" HTTP header or "select_user" URL parameter to specify the exact user <https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/teams>.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    amjadkhalil New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?