cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share a file, then return the URL ONLY

Share a file, then return the URL ONLY

mnoah66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using Python to share an image.  Then, I want to be able to only print to the console the short url. How do I accomplish this?

With this:  

print(client.share(path))

I get:

{'visibility': 'PUBLIC', 'expires': 'Tue, 01 Jan 2030 00:00:00 +0000', 'url': 'https://....'}

What I want:

https://....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The share method you're using returns a dict, so you can access the fields like:

print(client.share(path)['url'])

That uses API v1 though, which is deprecated. You should switch to using API v2. Using API v2, creating a shared linked is accomplished using the sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings method, which returns a SharedLinkMetadata object. Using it would look like this (also including the construction of the client itself):

dbx = dropbox.Dropbox(ACCESS_TOKEN)
print(dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path).url)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JohnnyNPC
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm not too familiar with de-serializing JSON in python, but you are getting a JSON object if you convert that JSON into an object you can just retrieve the URL member of that object

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The share method you're using returns a dict, so you can access the fields like:

print(client.share(path)['url'])

That uses API v1 though, which is deprecated. You should switch to using API v2. Using API v2, creating a shared linked is accomplished using the sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings method, which returns a SharedLinkMetadata object. Using it would look like this (also including the construction of the client itself):

dbx = dropbox.Dropbox(ACCESS_TOKEN)
print(dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path).url)

mnoah66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That worked!  Thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mnoah66 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    JohnnyNPC Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?