cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared image thumbnail

Shared image thumbnail

Thibaut D.
New member | Level 2

Hi,
I have some shared image with a public shared link. Is there a way to add paremeters to the link in order to get the image thumbnail and not the full file. I realy don't want to download the full image in the browser as it can be heavy.
If not possible, do you think it will be added in a near future? or do you think of another way to access the thumbnail of the shared image ?
The only thing that comes to my mind is to duplicate the data on the dropbox account but that's clearly not nice.

Thank you for your help,
Best

12 Replies 12

Leah C.1
New member | Level 1

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.
You can get a thumbnail of an image using the Dropbox Core API /thumbnails endpoint: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/docs#thumbnails

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Taking a guess, it sounds like you want to be able to directly get a thumbnail for a shared link for an image like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gloll316vgziw1f/Screenshot%202015-06-11%2009.47.11.png?dl=0

That's not currently possible, (the only parameters those links take are documented here), so you'd need to use the API as Leah mentioned.

Thibaut D.
New member | Level 2

Hi again,

Thank you for your quick answers and sorry for my delay, I was out of the office for a week.
Yes Greg, you are right about the shared link. I am frustrated to hear that it is not possible.
The thing is that I cannot use the Core API /thumbnails endpoint as the user is not connected: the aim is to be able to expose some thumbnail images to public users.
Is it in the short term roadmap?
Thanks,
Best regards

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately I don't know if or when this might be implemented, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a request.

Thibaut D.
New member | Level 2

Thanks Greg,
Please tell me if you have any news!
Best,
Thibaut

Thibaut D.
New member | Level 2

hi,

Is there any update on this request? Maybe in the api v2? 

If it's still not planned, is there a way to make a feature request?

Thanks,

Best,

Thibaut 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No news on this, but we're already tracking this as a feature request.

One thing that may help though, if you have an API app linked to the owner of the shared link, is to use the new /metadata/link endpoint to get information about the file, and then use /thumbnails to get the thumbnail.

Alexander P.5
New member | Level 1

Gregory, /thumbnails wants a <path>.

I couldn't (yet) figure out what it is for a shared folder file (not just usual file).

Where exactly public link goes?

Alexander P.5
New member | Level 1

An example would be ideal.

Need more support?