cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link to folder from another Dropbox account

Shared link to folder from another Dropbox account

kuznetsovvl
Explorer | Level 4

Hey I'm working with getting contents from shared link provided from another dropbox account.

I know that I can get list of content using  `2/files/list_folder` endpoint with the `shared_link` argument then I can use `2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata` to get downloadable links.

I have 2 questions:

- may be you can advice my any ways how I can get data from shared link with recursive: true option?

- for `get_shared_link_metadata` I should provide `path` to file unfortunately '2/files/list_folder' doesn't return this field for shared_link. What I can do with it?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately there isn't a way to use recursive mode when listing via a shared link, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. You'd need to perform the recursion via your own code, by calling /2/files/list_folder[/continue] with each relevant sub-path, if you need nested entries.

If you then need to call /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata for a particular file in the linked folder, you can build the "path" value based on the "name" values from the /2/files/list_folder[/continue] result. For example, if there's a file named "example.txt" in the folder, the path would be "/example.txt". Or if it is nested in a sub-folder named "some folder" inside the linked folder, the path would be "/some folder/example.txt".

If you just want to download a file's content directly via a shared link for a parent folder though, you can use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file, likewise specifying the original shared link for the folder, and the sub-path built from the "name" values.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?