cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Profitable Web
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Enjoyed your bad doors video.

Have you or anyone here tried the teams API https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/teams does that allow shared apps folders amongst team users?

Cheers,

Tim Woolfson
www.profitablewebprojects.com

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Hi Tim, unfortunately, no, using the Dropbox Business API doesn't change the incompatibility between shared folders and app folders.

Profitable Web
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Greg.

My objective is to allow multiple users read/write access to a folder to which an app also has access, without allowing the app access to a user´s entire dropbox. I believe that this is the objective of the majority of people on this thread.

So, whilst an App folder would be the logical place for that to happen, any viable workaround would be appreciated. Is it possible for an app to write to a team folder via the API? 

Recent reading: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9124

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Dropbox API apps can write to team folders. Team folders are not the same as app folders though, and exist outside app folders, so the API app would need the "full Dropbox" (and not "app folder" permission) to do so.

hwl
New member | Level 2

I resolved this [for my purpose] by setting up a symbolic link within the App subdirectory of my dropbox folder to the shared directory in my main dropbox folder. I used mklink to create the link. Any changes to the shared directory are automatically linked to the directory within the restricted App folder. It is as if the restricted App folder is shared. 

OldChili
New member | Level 2

+1

We use iStock and they have a feature to connect and upload directly to Dropbox... However only the 1 user can use this feature as photos are uploaded to their personal 'Apps' folder and we need the entire team to have access to these downloaded photos.

Profitable Web
Helpful | Level 5

dinvlad
New member | Level 2

For this reason, I had to move my storage to another service (Box.com), even if it is slower and app access is less secure (full permissions).

Need more support?