cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Trav F.
New member | Level 1

Could really use this basic feature, this is crippling my workflow. Thanks

TourFactory P.
New member | Level 1

I've got an app for Dropbox where some of our customers require the ability to share the folder. I just recently switched to the app folder permission and now I'm having to go back to the full permission due to this crippling the work-flow of our customers. I'm hoping that Dropbox approves my new production request or allows app folders to be shared very soon.

Jason C.34
New member | Level 1

One of the workflows we were hoping to achieve with drop box was allowing our various reporting servers to automatically upload files to drop box so the team can access them. Since we can't share the app folder this workflow is completely impossible as giving the app complete dropbox access is a security issue.

The old (very poor) work around I've seen so far is creating a share link for the entire apps folder and giving that out to colleagues. But that is both a very poor user experience and has it's own security issues as we then can't segregate access to data from different servers.

Basically, drop box is useless for this and we have to stick with emailing the files 😕

Bob_Stein
Helpful | Level 6

Things that waste my time:

• A dropbox folder that cannot be shared (in Apps).
  • A dropbox API that cannot access files in a particular shared folder (not in Apps).
  • A dropbox cloud folder (in Apps) that shows a SHARE button that does nothing but scold you for using it (see below).
  • Norman doors.

Bill B.9
New member | Level 1

[Post removed by moderator due to abusive nature.]

Rich
Super User II

Keep it civil, everyone, please. You can easily express your opinions of the service or company without resorting to abusive posts. Thank you.

Bill B.9
New member | Level 1

Sorry I thought that behaving in an arrogant, rude, ignorant, Trump-like manner was the new normal for getting your point across.  I hopefully stand corrected.

However, you should fix this or at least admit it is not a technical issue.  Your management just doesn't want to do it and/or doesn't really care that your customers want it.

Aaron C.1
New member | Level 1

Oh well, I suppose I'll just use a full access account and create another DB account to share our folder with. We just have export spreadsheets that we need to share with an app so this should work.

Dave C.39
New member | Level 2

Dropbox = Easy sharing with other people

BUT

Dropbox Apps Folder = Does not share with other people

Please fix.

Davis A.
Helpful | Level 5

This is such a pain. The only way I can share files with an app on my 'phone is via the apps folder, and I have other people that also need access to this data via Dropbox and I cannot share it? This is one of the few times I've encountered dropbox crippling essential functionality.

Now I'll have to manage multiple copies of files and the ensuing logistical nightmare of the copies getting out of sync.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dave C.39 New member | Level 2
    Aaron C.1 New member | Level 1
    Bill B.9 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?