cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short lived Tokens for Swift SDK

Short lived Tokens for Swift SDK

kungfuslippers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I've seen a few posts on short-lived tokens but wanted to be totally clear upon how they work.

On my app settings page, I have Access Token Expiration set to 'Short Lived'. When I click on the more info button I see a pop-up with the following:

-"Short-lived access tokens will expire after 4 hours. A new short-lived access token will be issued when a user re-authenticates or you can request one by using your refresh token.

If you default to use short-lived tokens, the token generated on this page will also be short-lived.

Long-lived tokens are less secure and will be deprecated in the future."-

So after running:

let scopeRequest = ScopeRequest(scopeType: .user, scopes: ["files.metadata.read", "files.metadata.write"], includeGrantedScopes: false)

DropboxClientsManager.authorizeFromControllerV2(

UIApplication.shared,

controller: self,

loadingStatusDelegate: nil,

openURL: { (url: URL) -> Void in UIApplication.shared.open( url, options: [:])},

scopeRequest: scopeRequest

)

The user will be prompted to login in / authorise via the Dropbox webview and if successful, the code flow returns via:

func scene(_ scene: UIScene, openURLContexts URLContexts: Set<UIOpenURLContext>) {

if let url = URLContexts.first?.url {

let oauthCompletion: DropboxOAuthCompletion = {

if let authResult = $0 {

switch authResult {

case .success:

print("Success! User is logged into DropboxClientsManager.")

case .cancel:

print("Authorization flow was manually canceled by user!")

case .error(_, let description):

print("Error: \(String(describing: description))")

}

}

}

DropboxClientsManager.handleRedirectURL(url, completion: oauthCompletion)

}

My questions are...

1. Does the token actually expire after 4 hours?

2. If it does - what APIs should I use to refresh?

3. If the short-lived tokens don't expire then can I assume that no further user interaction will be required to re-authorize / generate a new token - unless a call to DropboxClientsManager.unlinkClients() is made?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. Short-lived access tokens, such as retrieved by authorizeFromControllerV2, do expire after four hours. The authorizeFromControllerV2 method actually requests "offline" access though, so it receives a refresh token in addition to the short-lived access token.

2. If you use authorizeFromControllerV2 as documented, the SDK will automatically perform the refresh process for you. It will get a new short-lived access token when needed; you don't need to implement anything for that yourself.

3. While the short-lived access tokens themselves do expire, you are correct that, when implemented as above, no further user interaction is required (unless the access is explicitly disabled in some way, such as via unlinkClients) since the SDK will automatically perform a refresh when needed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. Short-lived access tokens, such as retrieved by authorizeFromControllerV2, do expire after four hours. The authorizeFromControllerV2 method actually requests "offline" access though, so it receives a refresh token in addition to the short-lived access token.

2. If you use authorizeFromControllerV2 as documented, the SDK will automatically perform the refresh process for you. It will get a new short-lived access token when needed; you don't need to implement anything for that yourself.

3. While the short-lived access tokens themselves do expire, you are correct that, when implemented as above, no further user interaction is required (unless the access is explicitly disabled in some way, such as via unlinkClients) since the SDK will automatically perform a refresh when needed.

kungfuslippers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Many thanks for the clarification!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kungfuslippers New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?