cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Strange Behavior Unsharing Folders en Mass

Strange Behavior Unsharing Folders en Mass

bcd_nyc
Explorer | Level 4

hello,

I'm trying to restructure folders I share with my customers ( roughly 5k+ folders ). My folder structure has a simple parent->child relationship, with the parent having a variable amount of children. Some of the child folders have been shared individually.

I'm trying to unshare the child folders and only share the parent folder.

I've created a test folder, 5 parent folders with 1-3 shared child folders, which I'm using to test the script I've written.

I'm using the api endpoint /sharing/unshare_folder, and it works for the most part, using the node sdk to make the calls.

However, sometimes the unshared child folders move from the parent folder and end up in my main dropbox folder for no apparent reason.

I noticed that dropbox seems to remove shared folder and put the folder back unshared, and I wonder if it has something to do with that?

I'm rate limiting requests to every 3 seconds per parent folder and also only calling the unshare_folder endpoint when this error seems to occur.

any help on this would be great! thank you.

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The behavior of putting back the unshared folder in your home folder instead of the original location does not sound expected. Would you be able to share a sample of the API requests/responses showing a case of this so we can look into it specifically? (Be sure to redact your access token though.) Feel free to open an API ticket if you'd prefer to share privately. Thanks!

Need more support?