cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SwiftyDropbox future

SwiftyDropbox future

hazdall
Explorer | Level 4

Hey guys, can you please share some information about the future of the SwiftyDropbox framework? Version 6.0.0 was released recently and some of the most requested issues were not addressed. 

1. Do you have any plans to remove/update Alamofire dependency? v.5 was released quite some time ago and I can not migrate to it since I have to support Dropbox.

2. Do you have any plans to support Swift Package Manager? There were multiple requests for it on the github page.

And some lower priority questions:

1. Do you have any plans to move to Swift 5? This should be a painless transition, and there is a pull request open on github.

2. Do you have any plans to split the framework into subspecs? Build time and app size may both be reduced, if this is possible.

I would really appreciate some info, even if the answer is "no" or "planned for 2034". Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for writing this up! We appreciate you taking the time to share this. I've sent this along to the team.

The latest release of SwiftyDropbox was focused on supporting new features of the Dropbox API itself. While we do expect to do more work on the SDK, we generally don't comment on specific future plans. Plans can change, and we don't want to set expectations that may not get met. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

We've updated SwiftyDropbox to work with Swift Package Manager as of v6.0.2. Please give it a try and let us know if you run in to any issues. Thanks!

meadowsr
Explorer | Level 4

As an SPM-newbie, can you give some instructions on how to do this?  I'd love to get rid of the 'carthage' dependency...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@meadowsr You can add SwiftyDropbox as a dependency from Xcode's UI using File > Swifty Packages > Add Package Dependency. There, you should enter SwiftyDropbox's repository URL:

https://github.com/dropbox/SwiftyDropbox

You can find more information in Apple's documentation

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

One more update: SwiftyDropbox has been updated to Swift 5 in the latest release.

hazdall
Explorer | Level 4

That's awesome, Greg! Any news on the Alamofire issue?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@hazdall No, unfortunately I don't have any news on that request.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Another update: SwiftyDropbox now supports Alamofire 5 as of v8.0.0.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

We've released a beta version of SwiftyDropbox with some significant updates, such as to remove the dependency on Alamofire. You can find more information here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Beta-version-of-major-SwiftyDropbox-upd...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    hazdall Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?