cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to download file to a desired path via files_download_to_file using the python api

Unable to download file to a desired path via files_download_to_file using the python api

peytonshc
Explorer | Level 3

I am using the files_download_to_file function to try and download a file from my dropbox to a specific location.  As parameters I am giving it '/home/user/Desktop' and it is saying IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory.  I am not sure what is wrong with this and would greatly appreciate any support.

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

When calling files_download_to_file, the `download_path` parameter should be the full local path where you want to save the file, including the file name and extension. So, instead of '/home/user/Desktop', you should supply something like '/home/user/Desktop/filename.ext'. 

peytonshc
Explorer | Level 3

I tried that before but got TypeError: 'FileMetadata' object is not iterable when I try and write it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
It looks like there's a mistake in the documentation (we'll get that fixed up), but the files_download_to_file method actually just returns a FileMetadata object (not a tuple), so make sure you're not trying to unpack the result.

I.e., your code should look something like `metadata = dbx.files_download_to_file(...)` not `metadata, result = dbx.files_download_to_file(...)`.

peytonshc
Explorer | Level 3

That works now but I am curious why when I run the program it download the files to the directed directory as well as the current directory.  I would like this to just happen in the directed directory.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The files_download_to_file method should just download a single copy of the file to wherever you specify in the download_path parameter. Can you share code that reproduces the unexpected behavior you're seeing?

peytonshc
Explorer | Level 3

Here is an example:

with open('Resume BigRed.pdf', "wb") as f:
    try:
        metadata = dbx.files_download_to_file('/home/ubuntu-mate/Desktop/test/Resume BigRed.pdf', "/Resume BigRed.pdf")
f.write(metadata)     except TypeError:
print("Ignoring TypeError")

I'm using the try to avoid the TypeError for entering metadata but it runs.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
In this sample, the `files_download_to_file` method will save the file to '/home/ubuntu-mate/Desktop/test/Resume BigRed.pdf'.

Separately, you're calling `open` and `f.write(metadata)`, which will save the file metadata (not the file content) to a file 'Resume BigRed.pdf' in the current directory. If you don't want that file, remove your `open` and `write` calls.
Need more support?