cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download shared file with no password protection

Unable to download shared file with no password protection

Almer_
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I would like to download a file on a shared link. The file(s) are not password protected. So when i'm using the browser I'm able to download the file without logging in.

- I'm using these REST api: /sharing/get_shared_link_file

- Using a registered app with the correct rights (all access at the moment)

- other calls like /files/list_folder on the public link are working

- checked: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-get_shared_link_file if i'm missing something

I'm getting an 409 conflict status code and the body:

{
    "error_summary""shared_link_not_found/.",
    "error": {
        ".tag""shared_link_not_found"
    }
}
When changing the path parameter to a non existance file in the header I'm getting: shared_link_not_found

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
1 Reply 1

Re: Unable to download shared file with no password protection

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

To clarify, does the shared link itself refer to a particular file, or to a folder?

If it refers to a file, you should not supply the "path" parameter when calling /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file.

If it refers to a folder, you should supply the "path" parameter when calling /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file, and the value should be the relative path of the desired file inside the folder. So, for example, if the linked folder is named "Folder", and it contains a file named "File.ext", you would supply a "path" value of just "/File.ext". Or, as another example, if the linked folder is named "Folder", and it contains another folder named "Subfolder, and that "Subfolder" contains a file named "File.ext", you would supply a "path" value of "/Subfolder/File.ext".

If this still isn't working as expected for you though, please share the code and parameter values you're using so we can take a look. If you'd prefer to share privately, you can open an API ticket here. In either case though, do not share your access token.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?