cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User setup of Token and Secret

User setup of Token and Secret

Corner A.
New member | Level 1

Hi
Im a bit stuck...I need to give my net app access to a drop box account...mainly want the app to create shared folders.

Im using the dropNet API

How do I manually set the Token and Secret on the users dropbox account or how do I obtain it

it is in the form of xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx

Many Thanks

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I can't offer much help for the DropNet library itself since we didn't make it, so you should refer to the documentation/support for that for information on how you process the app authorization flow in it to get and set the access token. It looks like the documentation is here.

Note that the API doesn't offer any calls for managing shared folders though, so you won't be able to do that programmatically. However, if you'd be interested in potentially participating in a shared folder API beta in the future, please sign up here.

Corner A.
New member | Level 1

Hi Greg, Thanks for the fast response.
Actually have had it working for quite some time. Have no problem at all creating shared folders
I'm embarrassed to say I have forgotten how to retrieve the user token/Secret but did see the following note in the dropnet api ref
"Best Practices: Dropbox’s Developer page states several times in bold red font that applications should not store a users Dropbox password and to help enforce this DropNet allows you to manually set a users Token and Secret on the client."

hence my question

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Regarding the shared folders, you might mean shared links to folders, which is a slightly different type of sharing. For reference, that corresponds to the /shares endpoint.

Also, the API can be used with existing shared folders, it just can't currently be used to share or unshare, or add or remove people from folders.

In any case, note that there are two different kinds of access tokens, for OAuth 1 and OAuth 2. It sounds like you're referring to OAuth 1 access tokens, which are each comprised of two pieces, unlike OAuth 2 access tokens. In any case, libraries generally help you get these tokens, so if you want to use DropNet, I recommend referring back to the documentation on how to do that.

Alternatively, we do have a blog post here that shows how to use the OAuth 1 flow manually:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/blog/20/using-oauth-in-plaintext-mode

Corner A.
New member | Level 1

Sorry Greg you are absolutely right...they are just links
Ill do some more digging ...Again appreciate the help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Corner A. New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?