cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch received files in a dropbox account

Watch received files in a dropbox account

Richard_D
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I would like to watch for changes to all files in a Dropbox account. I have implemented the following:

1) Call  /list_folder/get_latest_cursor to get a cursor to a users files. I store this locally.

2) I then call list_folder/continue and get any delta from previous hanges and store the new cursor locally. This then repeats periodically.

This appears to be working for files that a user adds to their account. However it doesn't return when a file is shared or unshared by another user.

I then tried list_received_files and list_received_files_continue. This however does not appear to work the same way as list_folder, as it doesn't return a cusor when no more results are present, so I can't keep polling for a delta. I have to retrieve all received files everytime. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

My usecase is that I want to watch for changes to any files, shared folders, or recieved files for a Dropbox user. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There isn't a way to get notified of sharing actions like this unfortunately, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. 

As you found, /list_folder/continue is only for actual file/folder changes, which doesn't include sharing activity, and the list_received_files interface doesn't work the same way as list_folder.

Richard_D
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the clarification. Are webhooks any help for this scenerio? Will i get notified via a webhook when a file is shared to a user?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, webhooks would only notify of filesystem changes, i.e., like /list_folder/continue would report, not sharing changes.

(There is technically some additional functionality for Business apps/teams, but it sounds like you're not referring to a Business app/team, so that wouldn't apply. Let me know if not though.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Richard_D New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?