cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: We are unable to access Dropbox, forever 429 error

We are unable to access Dropbox, forever 429 error

cccat
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

We have a Dropbox Business Advanced subscription and have an application to access the data.

From 07/21/2021 00:04 UTC, we find that all of our API calls have responded (429) Too Many Requests error. Our program has the strategy to dispose this kind of error and it works well previously. However, it does not work now.

We are also not able to access any Dropbox page and it will show "Oh hello. Sorry for this little hiccup. Try refreshing your page" or "

Too many requests Sorry, this link has been automatically turned off for now. Learn more about traffic limits."

We are even not able to contact the business supporter since we can not access the support page.

Our admin email does not receive any information about this incidence. We also checked that Dropbox has maintenance at that time https://status.dropbox.com/ . Is that the problem?

We have stopped all of the API calls and waiting for few hours but it still does not work. The API response shows "Retry-After" is 1 or 5 but that really doesn't work.

Can anyone help us with that? Very appreciate with that!

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It looks like this is due to a very large amount of activity on your account. This should resolve on its own after some time, but you'll need to make sure you do actually stop all calls to your account, or it will just reset the rate limiting. So, make sure you've stopped all calls to the account/team. For instance, make sure you're not accidentally running another instance you didn't mean to.

Anyway, I see you were able to contact support again via email, so I'll defer to the support team to investigate and help you with your account. That way they can look into it and discuss any account details with you privately.

cccat
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your reply.

We can see the "Retry-After" is 1 sec or 5 secs in different APIs. It is so short that not likely we are not waiting. In our program strategy, we will pause all the requests for 16 secs once we received the 429 error.

I have guessed. We have a lot of requests during the maintenance period. Dropbox does not process them but makes them in a queue. Once maintenance is done, all the requests in the queue flood the server.

We confirmed once again we have stopped all the API calls. If it is possible, could you please help us find if there are still any requests sending to the server and what is the IP of that sender? We can be more confident that we are actually on the right way.

Thank you so much!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I can't monitor your account like that, so I recommend working with support via your email to check on your account.

cccat
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you.

Could you please give me an email address I need to send to? We can not access any Dropbox pages including the support page so we don't know what the email address is.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I see you already have an open support ticket for this, so there's no need to email in again. The support team will reply to your ticket and you'll get the response by email.

Need more support?