cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What exactly is namespace

What exactly is namespace

michal_k
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I read this documentation and I did not understand, what exactly is meant by "namespace" which is being locked. The documentation sais this:

"You can think of a namespace as a collection of files and folders in the internal representation of the Dropbox file system. Each user’s private Dropbox folder maps to a root namespace."

Does it mean that every private (aka not shared) folder has it own namespace and this namespaces are in hierarchy?

Example:

In Dropbox root I have following structure of private folders:

root
|-- Folder_1
| |-- Folder_1a
| +-- Folder_1b
| |-- Folder_1b1
| +-- Folder_1b2
+-- Folder_2
|-- Folder_2a
|-- Folder_2b
+-- Folder_2c

I want to upload file to Folder_1b. What is the exact namespace, that will be locked? Which folders belong to the locked namespace and to which folder can I upload files via API in parralel so the namespace lock contention will not occur?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

'Does it mean that every private (aka not shared) folder has it own namespace and this namespaces are in hierarchy?"

No, a folder doesn't represent a new namespace unless it's a shared folder or team folder.

In your example, assuming none of those folders are shared, everything is part of the same namespace.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

'Does it mean that every private (aka not shared) folder has it own namespace and this namespaces are in hierarchy?"

No, a folder doesn't represent a new namespace unless it's a shared folder or team folder.

In your example, assuming none of those folders are shared, everything is part of the same namespace.

Moravia t.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

And what if Folder_1 is shared folder?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If Folder_1 is a shared folder, then Folder_1 is a namespace, separate from the root namespace.
Need more support?