cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the format of the file downloaded via API?

What is the format of the file downloaded via API?

Inter80801
Explorer | Level 3

I download the file through Dropbox API at the server side of my app in the following manner:

// setting variable for buffering
let
fileBuffered = '';
// authentication
const dropbox = dropboxV2Api.authenticate({
token: process.env.DEV_DROPBOX_SECRET_KEY
});

// configuring parameters
const params = Object.freeze({
resource: "files/download",
parameters: {
path: `/${customerFileFolder}/${fileName}`
}
});

// download
let
dropboxPromise = new Promise(function (resolve, reject) {
dropbox(params, function (err, result) {
if (err) {
reject(err);
} else {
resolve(result);
}
}).on('data',function(data) {
fileBuffered += data;
})

At the end of the process I get the content of the PDF file that I'm trying to download in the fileBuffered variable. The lenght of the string (132,596 bytes) in the variable is pretty equal to the size of my PDF file (139,694 bytes). That's what I get in the debugger:

Capture1.JPG

Now I need to download the file to a client. I assume that the file is binary and I have to convert it into base64.

// convert to base64
const
file = `data:application/pdf;base64, ${Buffer.from(downloadResult.fileBuffered).toString("base64")}`;

res.setHeader("Content-Type", "application/pdf");
res.setHeader("Accept-Encoding", "base64");
res.send(file); 

I get a much bigger file (252,678 bytes) on a client side and it opens as empty file in Acrobat Reader. What I'm doing wrong?

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The /2/files/download endpoint is a "content-download" style endpoint, meaning that when the call is successful, the requested raw file data is returned in the response body, with the corresponding "Content-Type: application/octet-stream" header.

That's what you're seeing when you print out your "fileBuffered" variable; that's the data for the requested file. (For example, "%PDF..." is the beginning of the actual PDF data.)

Exactly what you do with the data from there is up to you and will depend on your app and what web framework you're using, for example, so I can't really offer exact guidance on what you should do from that point. You don't necessarily need to re-encode it with base64 unless your use case specifically calls for it for some reason though. Perhaps for your use case you should just send fileBuffered down, along with a "Content-Type: application/octet-stream" header as well?

Inter80801
Explorer | Level 3

Greg, thank you for your prompt response. I fully understand that there is no issue with Dropbox API and response (let's call it fileBuffered) that I get on my server-side is accurate. Regardless is I send "Content-Type", "application/pdf" or "Content-Type", "application/octet-stream" I get a strange response on my client-side

Capture1.JPG

The fileBuffered size on a server-size is 132,597. The some how it grows to 254Kb when sent to a client-side. It is clear that there is no issue with Dropbox API but maybe you know how to tacke the issue?

Server-side

const file = fileBuffered;
res.setHeader("Content-Type", "application/stream-octet");
res.send(file);

Client-side

function documentFileDownload(fileName) {
const ip = location.host;
let request = $.ajax({
type: "POST",
url: `${http() + ip}/documentFileDownload`,
headers: {
"Accept": "application/stream-octet"
},

data: {
fileName: fileName
},
error: function (err) {
console.log("ERROR: " + err);
}
});

console.log(request);

return request;
}  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately I can't provide support for that side of the operation, since it's not related to the Dropbox API.

I do notice you reversed "application/octet-stream" as "stream-octet" in your code though. 

Inter80801
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Greg,

The reversed "application/octet-stream" was typo and it wasn't an issue. I found a solution. Thank you for your help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Inter80801 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?