cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the purpose of APP_SECRET in v2?

What is the purpose of APP_SECRET in v2?

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I'm migrating Permanote (formerly Nebulous Notes) to v2, and in doing some housekeeping, I noticed that the APP_SECRET is not used anywhere. I've been getting by without it for a couple of months now. I also checked the DBRoulette sample app, and it too doesn't seem to use the Secret.

Is this something to do with 0Auth2 not needing it? I'm just curious, so I can remove it from my code for good if it's truly un-needed. Or maybe I do need it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's correct, when using the OAuth 2 'token' flow, such as in client-side apps like on iOS, the app secret is not necessary.

View solution in original post

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The checkAndPerformV1TokenMigration method is defined in the SDK, but it's relatively new, so make sure you have the latest version installed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's correct, when using the OAuth 2 'token' flow, such as in client-side apps like on iOS, the app secret is not necessary.

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Thanks for the quick reply Greg!

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Follow-up question:

The Obj-C SDK suggests running this line for migration:

[DBClientsManager checkAndPerformV1TokenMigration:]

However, I don't see that in the SDK code.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The checkAndPerformV1TokenMigration method is defined in the SDK, but it's relatively new, so make sure you have the latest version installed.

Need more support?