cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When a File is Uploaded, Make a New Row in Google Sheets (viasocket.com)

When a File is Uploaded, Make a New Row in Google Sheets (viasocket.com)

ericmlevy
Explorer | Level 3

I'm using the website viasocket to get info from the Frame.io API, into Google Sheets. I'd like to do the same thing with Dropbox.

I'd like to be able to pick a folder, and every time a file is uploaded into that folder, or one of its subfolder, I'd like to get the date & time, file name, and link to the file. Then I'd like to pass that into a new row on a Google Sheet.

I have a bad implementation of it working with IFTTT, but it's slow and doesn't work with subfolders.

Screenshot 2019-06-08 14.58.54.png

I can barely figure out how to begin. I had some info coming into socket using this: https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/list_folder. But each file had its own entry in an array, and I couldn't push that to Google SHeet.

I'm terrible at this. Please help!

4 Replies 4

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff

Something to keep in mind in this scenario is that the current Dropbox webhook implementation listens for all changes to files and can't be set to listen on a single folder.

Do you have any code you've written (or can write) somewhere in your current flow? 

deifos
New member | Level 2

Just passing by to take a look at the new dropbox which looks awesome by the way :wink: and decided to pick a random post for my good deed of the day.

@ericmlevy I can help you with that if you like. if you do not want to code and you think ITTT is not a good solution, try Zappier.

Let me know if you need help.

I do not work for Zappier by the way.

All the best!

ericmlevy
Explorer | Level 3
Zapier can definitely do this, I was just trying to save $50/mo, since viasocket.com let’s you do something like 5,000 actions for free.

Our frame.io —> Google Sheets integration is working really well on there. That’s a simpler API though. Easier for a novice to understand.

ericmlevy
Explorer | Level 3
I deleted the code I had written, because it wasn’t working.

I couldn’t get that loop to work at all. The documentation about it on the site is unclear to me, and all of my attempts to get it to work failed.

To be fair, I don’t know what I’m doing.
Need more support?