cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: filesListFolderLongpoll fires changes: without changes within the folder

filesListFolderLongpoll fires changes: without changes within the folder

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5

I have a folder and I get a cursor for it and call filesListFolderLongpoll...

If I go to the parent folder of the folder I'm polling and add a file to it, the longpoll returns for the child folder with `changes:true` (but nothing within the folder I'm actually polling has changed).

When I call filesListFolderContinue with the cursor I get a response with a new cursor but no actual changes ala:

```

{ "entries": [], "cursor": "AAHp_o9htUtsuvBy6ZLjlTyxIetGJZKp64hcFe641rOod28dbdiXDDw18CXg4T1DtBXDPexxpdzO9K8x8s7iX6YDB6XLcyzAJCPwb5xQuXSyXEbnjOEptD1xNvCUAG0hxxnWN5TgPl3fd-urlcaMtmzvt-0rVRg-RmKxJsbgp_7cKMrccWDoodbQFmNe2DrvY0nSgedfTcMxzWktRANN0hP8zzsv9uXrR4vZgoNaYPEv7BKQLZgdgBCiZHJvV1__tQ4h0AOpFvFK67An_KMgMgJwDZMQ7DnckIBAfoboOrJm5g", "has_more": false }

```

For my app we use a "preferences" file and the app saves the latest cursor values there it results in a false positive change-loop

@Greg-DB since they asked me to open the ticket

6 Replies 6

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5

It's at least possible that in this case my app could ignore/not store the returned cursor and just restart the longpoll but that seems hacky

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report. For clarity though, can you also share the code and parameter values you're using, e.g., for filesListFolder, filesListFolderContinue, and filesListFolderLongpoll? That would help make sure we investigate the right scenario.

Also, when you say this "results in a false positive change-loop", do you mean you're getting stuck in a `changes:true` -> ` "entries": [], ...,"has_more"false` infinite loop, or does that happen just once per change?

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5

Sure! Here's how I repro'd it on my side:

I called https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#files_list_folder/get_latest_cursor

with path: "/Apps/Songbook.Studio/Library" (if you need ids from me instead let me know)

then I called https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#files_list_folder/longpoll

with cursor: "AAHYcbsJjEIIcObeUpf7Uu9QgkTFe0-6zAH3f43ypSgDm035GKew13WormET99lOBzz9Z9HCKOEapDe_Gp4fCP0TqDKb_FF6yHe6RnACghIQJSa7XT4HrKj2wKFvAFsWOl89bqvtBD0VYZ4JPvGzpmuSJ_xyjFjJH9-SnkxRe7Q0148beWvf71Jk68ukBNnsawn7jutFHLzS82LzJhA4y4z2fNjMvTx9yB8c61gakAVkGhG7v73CsiFpNNHfcxzbqpE"

it sits and spins...

I went to the Dropbox web UI and dragged/dropped a test image file (foo.png) into the parent folder: "/Apps/Songbook.Studio"

the longpoll returns with `changes: true` at this point

I call https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#files_list_folder/continue

with cursor: "AAHYcbsJjEIIcObeUpf7Uu9QgkTFe0-6zAH3f43ypSgDm035GKew13WormET99lOBzz9Z9HCKOEapDe_Gp4fCP0TqDKb_FF6yHe6RnACghIQJSa7XT4HrKj2wKFvAFsWOl89bqvtBD0VYZ4JPvGzpmuSJ_xyjFjJH9-SnkxRe7Q0148beWvf71Jk68ukBNnsawn7jutFHLzS82LzJhA4y4z2fNjMvTx9yB8c61gakAVkGhG7v73CsiFpNNHfcxzbqpE"

and the response is:

{ "entries": [], "cursor": "AAHp_o9htUtsuvBy6ZLjlTyxIetGJZKp64hcFe641rOod28dbdiXDDw18CXg4T1DtBXDPexxpdzO9K8x8s7iX6YDB6XLcyzAJCPwb5xQuXSyXEbnjOEptD1xNvCUAG0hxxnWN5TgPl3fd-urlcaMtmzvt-0rVRg-RmKxJsbgp_7cKMrccWDoodbQFmNe2DrvY0nSgedfTcMxzWktRANN0hP8zzsv9uXrR4vZgoNaYPEv7BKQLZgdgBCiZHJvV1__tQ4h0AOpFvFK67An_KMgMgJwDZMQ7DnckIBAfoboOrJm5g", "has_more": false }

What I mean by the loop in my situation is that everytime I get a new cursor I update a file "/Apps/Songbook.Studio/.preferences.json" as my "durable storage" for the user's last update. When I do that, it triggers the longpoll's to return with the cycle described, so I have a kind of infinite back and forth. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Got it, thanks! That's helpful. We'll look into it.

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5

In the meantime, what do you think about my idea of preserving the original cursor and just starting the poll again?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That seems like a reasonable way to workaround the issue. As long as you don't get and process any new entries and still reach `has_more:false`, it would be fine to fall back to original cursor to avoid making another change, which would trigger that loop again. If/when you do get actual changes returned, you can then process them and save the next cursor. (Saving that new cursor would trigger this issue again, but that would just be the one extra iteration of the loop.)

Need more support?