cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: get email addresses of members of your shared_folders

get email addresses of members of your shared_folders

Daniel L.20
Helpful | Level 6

According to documentation, you can get a list of members on a shared folder with https://api.dropbox.com/1/shared_folders/<id>
and the response will contain:
"members": [
{
"user": {
"uid": 87654321,
"display_name": "Jane P. User",
"same_team": true,
"member_id": "dbmid:abcd1234"
},
"role": "owner",
"active": true
},

Is there any way to determine the email address of that user? (eg- from the uid for that user) Note that this is information that is available to the folder owner via the Dropbox web interface.

27 Replies 27

Daniel L.20
Helpful | Level 6

That's quite helpful... thanks!  But I notice this in the documentation:

• The membership field only contains users who have joined the shared folder and does not include users who have been invited but have not accepted.

The major goal I had for this feature was to write a script to report on the sharing of a large number of folders among many users.  For proper data security, I want to be able to ascertain anybody who might have access to a folder, even if they have not yet accepted an old invitation.

I can see how, prior to acceptance of the invite, your system wouldn't treat it as a user account linked to the folder, but instead simply an email address that was invited (and the act of inviting someone maybe shouldn't expose their name and uid to me prior to acceptance); but for thoroughness it would be good to be able to retrieve the listing of pending invites in the same shared_folders call, maybe under a different array called something like "pending_invitees" or some such thing containing just email addresses.  This information is, after all, visible in the Dropbox web UI (along with the ability to retract or resend an invitation).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback! I'll send it along.

Dmitry A.1
New member | Level 2

How can we get members' emails in v2 API?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This isn't currently available in API v2, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

Suryakant D.
New member | Level 1

does this feature available now. To get emails of a folder members

Daniel L.20
Helpful | Level 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

To clarify, this is currently available in API v1, but not API v2.

Julian F.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Gregory,

I'm building in swift and it seems SwiftyDropbox is only capable of accessing API v1. Since I want to get users email addresses, is there a way to revert to API v1 so that this is possible?

Note: this is a follow up to your last comment above made on: April 26, 2016 13:38

Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Julian, I imagine that's a typo and you meant to say that "SwiftyDropbox is only capable of accessing API v2".

Anyway, it's not possible to use SwiftyDropbox to access API v1. 

If you wanted to though, you could technically use API v1, either via the HTTP endpoints, or the iOS Core SDK. Note that API v1 is deprecated though, so that's not recommended. 

Julian F.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Gregory, thanks, yea that's what I meant.

Is there a plan to make getting emails from folder members available for API v2? If so, by when?

Thanks!

Need more support?