cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get url to embed in file

get url to embed in file

bhuwan
Explorer | Level 3

Hi There, I have tried files/get_thumbnail, get_preview endpoints but I am not able to get any response that I can embed in HTML. Is there any way to get thumbnail or preview URL so I can display all files from user's dropbox to my website?

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The get_thumbnail and get_preview endpoints return the requested thumbnail or preview data directly in the response body (as application/octet-stream). Exactly what you do with the data is up to you; for instance, you might save it to your server and serve it back to the web browser, convert it to a different format, etc.

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to retrieve links for thumbnails or previews instead, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Jens S.1
Explorer | Level 4

+1 Maybe extend the /get_temporary_link to work with preview - would be ideal for my use case. Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Jens S.1 Thanks for the feedback!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Jens S.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?