cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

permanently delete file java api v2

permanently delete file java api v2

Dan R.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How do you use permanentlyDelete in java api v2?  

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Dan, the permanentlyDelete method you mentioned is the right method for permanently deleting files. Have you tried using it and run in to any issues? If so, please share the error you're getting if you're still having trouble.

Note that per the documentation though, it's only available to Dropbox for Business apps. You can register a "team member file access" Dropbox Business app here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps/create

Using that would look like:

DbxClientV2 client = new DbxTeamClientV2(config, ACCESS_TOKEN).asMember(teamMemberId);

client.files().permanentlyDelete(filePath);

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Dan, the permanentlyDelete method you mentioned is the right method for permanently deleting files. Have you tried using it and run in to any issues? If so, please share the error you're getting if you're still having trouble.

Note that per the documentation though, it's only available to Dropbox for Business apps. You can register a "team member file access" Dropbox Business app here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps/create

Using that would look like:

DbxClientV2 client = new DbxTeamClientV2(config, ACCESS_TOKEN).asMember(teamMemberId);

client.files().permanentlyDelete(filePath);

Dan R.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for response Gregory.  Yeah I am a team of one, so I have no need for Dropbox for business where I have to pay for  a minimum of 5 team members.  Seems a little silly that I'm attempting to build an app that could potentially bring customers to dropbox and yet I have to develop with an api that has had important methods hacked out of it in order for to push me into paying more.... anyway that has nothing to do with you.

But I do have a followup question.  Do you have a list of all the methods that are only available to Business accounts?  i need to know what other important things are going to be missing from the api.

I have already put a lot of time into the app I'm working on and want to know if its even worth my time to continue with dropbox or switch immediately to another provider.

Thanks again.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback! That's the only user method that is restricted to Business apps. I'll send this along as a feature request to make this available to non-Business apps though.

Dan R.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Great. thanks again Gregory.

andycass
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I too also creating an android app and require the delete method, I am a single developer so don't need the business membership can you make the permanentlyDelete(String path) method available to sole developers please ?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the feedback! I can't make any promises, but I've added your vote to the feature request.

Markus K.6
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to give another vote for making the permanently_delete endpoint available to Individual (non Business) users.

Actually, I don't see a reason for limiting it anymore as all Business plans have 120 days of file history, just as the Professional plan. Even the blog post for the new Professional plan states that this new (and most expensive per person) plan would bring the Business features to individual users. Therefore, I would expect the endpoint to work at least for Professional accounts.

Best regards,

Markus

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the feedback Markus!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Markus K.6 Explorer | Level 3
    andycass Explorer | Level 3