cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

search in v1 vs v2

search in v1 vs v2

Matias K.1
New member | Level 1

We were looking at migrating to v2, but it seems the search functions is incompatible. V1 is "must get substring match on all space separated components", which is pretty straightforward. But on v2 you need a perfect match on other parts except last (which is prefix). For one the v2 implementation is pretty strange (what's the scenario for that logic) and secondly it's impossible to implement things you can do on v1.

What we do is we want to search all files with specific extension and in v1 we just search ".extension" and filter making sure it was a suffix hit. But on v2 you can't do that

Third would't it make more sense to support regex filtering, pretty standard and WAAYY more powerful?

4 Replies 4

Re: search in v1 vs v2

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback Matias! The team is aware of these differences and difficulties with search in API v2 versus v1 and hopes to address them in the future. I can't offer a timeline for when improvements may be available though. I've included your feedback as feature requests for the various improvements to API v2 search to the team.

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

Hi Matias, quick update: searching by file extension should be working now.

Matias K.1
New member | Level 1

Gregory, what changed and how you'd do a file extension search with v2 API? The docs look like it's not changed, i.e. only last search term is used for a prefix match, i.e. you can't use it for file suffix.

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

We changed it to not respect the period in a query, e.g., so if you just search for ".mov" the results will include "test.mov" but not "not a movie file.txt". 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropboxer
    Matias K.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?