cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

search_v2 ignores parenthesis

search_v2 ignores parenthesis

KennelLink
Explorer | Level 3

My app needs to search for folders named like "Last, First (99)" by using a query "(99)" because it doesn't know the leading part - just the number in parenthesis.  Search apparently ignores the parenthesis, so the results include folders that it shouldn't, for instance "Anything (999)"

How do I submit a query that includes the parenthesis and limits the results to just those that _really_ match "(99)" ?

I swear that version 1 behavior did not used to do this.  Now it appears both search do this.  I used to be able to search for "(99)" and only get results that actually have "(99)" in their name, not all folders with "99".

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution to offer here. The API doesn't offer a way to control the parsing of search queries like this, or a way to perform strict/exact matching like you're looking for, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?