cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: some questions abut dropbox

some questions abut dropbox

petal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hi:

I want to integrate dropbox to my little app using java. Here is some question I want to figure out

1.  Dropbox updating file by incremental update or full update? I

2. If one file is synchronized by multiple device, will the file be covered by each other? 

3. If one file has been updated by one device, can another device be noticed by dropbox, or should this device query the update itself?

4. Are all the apis provided by java SDK the rest api? Or how should I distinguish which is rest api?

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying! If multiple devices to try write to the same location at the exact same time, they may hit "lock contention". You can find information on that in the Performance Guide.

Otherwise, if multiple devices try to write to the same file, the behavior will depend on the write mode that the app specifies. For example, in the Java SDK, you can use UploadBuilder.withMode to specify the write mode. Check out the WriteMode documentation for information on the different options.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. When using the Dropbox API, such as via the official Dropbox API v2 Java SDK, to upload a new version of a file, the app needs to upload the entire new version of the file. The API does not offer a way to upload only the changed portion of a file, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

2. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean when you say "covered". When an API app on one device updates a file in a Dropbox account, the updated file is saved to the Dropbox servers. What other devices then do is up to the code running on those devices.

3. The Dropbox API does offer some ways to detect or be notified of changes like this. I recommend referring to the Detecting Changes Guide for information.

4. The official Dropbox API v2 Java SDK as well as the other official SDKs all use the same HTTPS interface for the Dropbox API. The SDK supports the same functionality available on the HTTPS API, though new features may lag a bit until the SDK is updated.

petal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, your reply really helps

Sorry there is one question I did not describe clearly. I want to ask, if one file in dropbox is being updated by multiple devices at the same time, how will dropbox handld this situation?What will the final document look like?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying! If multiple devices to try write to the same location at the exact same time, they may hit "lock contention". You can find information on that in the Performance Guide.

Otherwise, if multiple devices try to write to the same file, the behavior will depend on the write mode that the app specifies. For example, in the Java SDK, you can use UploadBuilder.withMode to specify the write mode. Check out the WriteMode documentation for information on the different options.

petal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks a lot!

Need more support?