cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beta Build 110.3.425 - Apple M1

Beta Build 110.3.425

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose "Include me on early releases" on the Settings page

This is an early release feature that is subject to these additional terms.

79 Replies 79

Not applicable

There is no need to remove Rosetta 2. It does not do anything unless you start an Intel binary. I have read an article where they describe some way to remove Rosetta 2, but I would only try it if you know what you are doing: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/669486

Dropbox is very silent about a native Universal Dropbox client version, I also have doubts about how optimised the Universal binary for Dropbox will be, as the current client easily consumes 1 GB of memory on my Intel iMac doing nothing :S.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10

That's the same link that I got those instructions from that I put at the end of my last response. Will have to see whether it's worth the trouble. But thanks for the encouraging words...so, there is zero slow-down to my all Apple Silicon system if I don't actuate an Intel app?

Looks like I'll remove Dropbox again and cancel my subscription next chance I can get...I have spent dozens of hours working with Dropbox to help them figure out a nasty bug, but I just don't see them take their users' concerns serious as is shown by the fact that the client still hogs memory like it's 1999, and that they still don't have an Apple Silicon version like it's November 2020.

Why oh why?

Thanks for your help!

TJ Luoma
Collaborator | Level 9

> so, there is zero slow-down to my all Apple Silicon system if I don't actuate an Intel app?

Correct. Rosetta only runs when needed to make an Intel binary run on Apple Silicon, and then, once that is finished, Rosetta quits.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10

Thanks, TJ!

That does indeed sound like it's been solved in the best of ways.

I trust that Apple will, at some point, provide tools to scan the system for Intel apps, and a means of going all-in with Apple Silicon apps only. Sure looking forward to that...this little MB Air has been silently crushing anything I have been throwing at it (and that's a lot) more snappily than my MacBook Pro 2018 (max config) every did. Apple Silicon will be the future...or ARM/RISC in general.

Not applicable

If you open the System Information app which is included with macOS you will find an item Applications somewhere on the left. Click this and let it load, it will show you all installed application with their architecture. 

Not applicable

@tillkrueger wrote:

That's the same link that I got those instructions from that I put at the end of my last response. Will have to see whether it's worth the trouble. But thanks for the encouraging words...so, there is zero slow-down to my all Apple Silicon system if I don't actuate an Intel app?

Looks like I'll remove Dropbox again and cancel my subscription next chance I can get...I have spent dozens of hours working with Dropbox to help them figure out a nasty bug, but I just don't see them take their users' concerns serious as is shown by the fact that the client still hogs memory like it's 1999, and that they still don't have an Apple Silicon version like it's November 2020.

Why oh why?

Thanks for your help!

I can understand why Dropbox adds features which may be useful for individuals or businesses that use Dropbox as their daily productivity environment. I just don’t like the fact that it bloats the application for users that do not need all the extras. And you take the resources it uses into consideration, its just too much for just a sync app, for me at least. 

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10

Oh ja, stimmt ja, fast vergessen!

Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report... > Software > Applications

Da werde ich noch einiges zu tun haben...

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10

kinda like what Apple did with iTunes...bloated it out of existence.

Well, that's one thing, but they are also sloppy for a company that has 100's or thousands (or even millions) of individuals and 10's of thousands of business users relying on their technology. It bugged me for years that when using "Smart" Sync, files that were only online would still be applied to the total local storage, so that even an empty Dropbox folder would deduct over 200GB from my internal SSD.

Why does it take a customer like me to get on the phone and spend dozens of hours talking and emailing back and forth with them to prove it to them and then work with them to get that fixed...how many years must people have thought it's time to get a new harddrive, SSD, or computer, because they are always running out of space? I mean, I give them kudos for working with me and taking care of it, but what kind of QA is going on there, and how, then, is it surprising that the Dropbox client is taking up ludicrous amounts or RAM while doing *nothing*? Or not being on creating an optimized Apple Silicon version within months of Apple's big platform shift?

They are resting on their laurels, which, like the Quark page layout design company found out, can tank a once near-monopolistic company from one year to the next.

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8
@tillkrueger - exactly! As I said in another topic. Dropbox is a sinking **bleep**.. uh I mean ship.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10

...yeah, if they continue like this, they'll go the way of the Dodo, fo sho.

Btw, I was able to get rid of Rosetta 2 in my Monterey install by following the directions referenced in my earlier post, and confirmed it by trying to run an Intel app, which then triggered a pop-up asking me whether I'd like to install Rosetta 2. For now, I like having this alert to remind me that I am about to install a non-native app...for everything else, I have my Big Sur install with Rosetta 2.

Exciting times, moving away from the power-hungry (hot!) Intel CPUs and into a world where CPU and GPU share the same memory...of which Dropbox insists grabbing 2GB 😕

Need more support?