cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 29.4.20

Stable Build 29.4.20

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

14 Replies 14

patulus
Helpful | Level 6

@Eventus O. wrote:

Why would they leave running a service that's useless? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

Oh common, as if we don't have other useless services running in Windows :). It's a free software, whatever this service is doing, it can be useful for Dropbox Inc, but it is useless for me. Everything I need from Dropbox works without it. Maybe it collects some statistics, maybe it is spying, I don't know. It definitely has nothing to do with network or Internet. If you check its import table, it communicates with some kernel driver using Minifilter Driver Architecture. Maybe it checks the content of the files for whatever reason.

What is very suspicious about this service is a visible intent of the developers not to disclose what the heck it is doing. The description of the service just vaguely says “Dropbox Service” — yeah, very informative. There are some hints that maybe the Dropbox Inc. uses it to collect debug information to deal with bugs in their software. However considering that Dropbox Inc is very bad at fixing bugs and doesn't give a screw about users experience, disabling this service won't make too much difference for you personally.

Eventus O.
Helpful | Level 6

patulus escreveu:

@Eventus O. wrote:

Why would they leave running a service that's useless? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

Oh common, as if we don't have other useless services running in Windows :). It's a free software, whatever this service is doing, it can be useful for Dropbox Inc, but it is useless for me. Everything I need from Dropbox works without it. Maybe it collects some statistics, maybe it is spying, I don't know. It definitely has nothing to do with network or Internet. If you check its import table, it communicates with some kernel driver using Minifilter Driver Architecture. Maybe it checks the content of the files for whatever reason.

What is very suspicious about this service is a visible intent of the developers not to disclose what the heck it is doing. The description of the service just vaguely says “Dropbox Service” — yeah, very informative. There are some hints that maybe the Dropbox Inc. uses it to collect debug information to deal with bugs in their software. However considering that Dropbox Inc is very bad at fixing bugs and doesn't give a screw about users experience, disabling this service won't make too much difference for you personally.

Thanks for the answer.

I went to search a little about this service after I posted the question here and, indeed, Dropbox refuses to answer what is the purpose of this service (the same way they ignore till today about the release notes).

I disable it on my computer and no issue so far.

patulus
Helpful | Level 6

Today Dropbox upgraded itself and reenabled DbxSvc. Don't forget to turn it off again.

chuck787
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the notice

chuck787
Explorer | Level 3

"only" 83 entries added, thanks dropbox

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

chuck787 Explorer | Level 3
    patulus Helpful | Level 6
    Eventus O. Helpful | Level 6