cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we use Dropbox: Alex

How we use Dropbox: Alex

Alex
Dropbox Staff
We’re back again to share how some Dropboxers actually use Dropbox in our real lives. This time it’s my turn - if you haven’t seen my name around before, I’m Alex, and I’m part of the Community team. 

I was one of those straight A kids in school. The obnoxious one who always thought she had the answer and would be upset if she didn’t get the highest grade (sorry….not sorry). I was always the organized nerd and thanks to that, I’ve been using Dropbox since my student days. It has been an essential tool for storing my files in the cloud and accessing all my docs wherever and whenever I need. The more docs I could upload, the more prepared I felt in class. 

As you can probably tell, my love for the Dropbox desktop app was triggered by a desire to over-achieve. Back then, I remember syncing docs between my devices so I could look at them on my mobile phone when I couldn’t get my computer to school (I had a very large, and heavy, Asus PC!) 

I also used Dropbox in University for projects with my peers. I would share files with my team members so we could all contribute to the main project doc. In the past, I had often ended up doing almost all of the work on group projects, rather than risk a bad grade. I think we all know the pain of a group project with a few less than enthusiastic teammates, but thankfully, with Dropbox, there was no excuse. They couldn’t pretend they didn’t have the files, their names were next to the work they did, and there was even document history so no amount of ‘I did it, but it’s not there now, someone must have deleted it’ could let them off the hook. Now, whether or not I tidied up the end product, I didn’t have to do 90% of the work on my own! 

Later in life, when I became a real grownup, I decided to upgrade to the Dropbox Plus so I could upload even more files. And then, at my first job, I convinced my manager to give me some budget for a Pro account. I would lie if I said that I wasn’t influenced by my early experience with Dropbox as a student. For me, Dropbox stuck with me when I was a poor and awkward kid, so I stuck with it in return, and now I actually work for them! 

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 13.50.21.png

So, tell me, who else here is a meticulously organised nerd like me
7 Replies 7

GeorgeV7
Explorer | Level 4
I've been using Dropbox since my school days too. I am also a nerd 🤓 lol. Thanks for sharing!

Grevillius
Helpful | Level 6
thank you!

Poppycock
New member | Level 2

Alex, you're amazing. Seriously I am trying so hard to become proficient with my Apple Mac. I want to feel as inspired by all things digital as you are. Unsure if I have enough grey cells...but I'm giving it my best shot.

Do you have any recommendations?

Best

Poppycock

Alex
Dropbox Staff

Thank you. I guess there is a nerd in all of us 😉

Alex
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Poppycock. Thanks for the kind words. I'd say be patient with yourself. Learning can be a challenging process but it's always worth acquiring a new skill. Also, asking for help in Community forums and checking out the relevant documentation for the tool you are trying to master has always been a winning strategy for me. 

kuochiachi
Explorer | Level 3

I've install the dropbox, but it can't work.

The dropbox service is running, but the dropbox icon is not at the right down corner.

The service is not work.

I've remove and reinstall, but the problem is still here.

How should I do to solve the proglem ? 

Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi @kuochiachi, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with our desktop app. 

As you've already reinstalled the app and still can't see the Dropbox icon in your system tray, you could try an advanced re-install at this point. 

Just make sure that there's no antivirus or firewall that might be preventing the app from running properly. 

Please, keep us posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    kuochiachi Explorer | Level 3
    Alex Dropbox Staff
    Poppycock New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?