cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we use Dropbox: Sheena

How we use Dropbox: Sheena

Emma
Community Manager
We’re back again with another dive into how we, Dropboxers, use Dropbox. This time we have the ever wonderful, social media master, code queen, @Sheena! And we can add family file manager to this ever-growing list!

I’m from a large Irish family, which means I have tons of cousins, aunts and uncles, and of course my wonderful grandparents. As the eldest cousin on my mothers side, it generally falls to me to keep the cousins in line, and to gather the best gossip for my Grandmother!

About 6 years ago my Grandmother mentioned that she felt she was missing out, as all of her grandchildren would share their best photos on social media, and she didn’t get to see them.
That year I created the first Christmas Family Calendar. It was created using simple calendar creation websites, of which there are tons. I first got the pictures by looking at the family’s Facebook profiles and choosing lovely pics from holidays, parties and events throughout the year that my Grandparents would not have seen.

Throughout the years, many of us have stopped updating Facebook as often, and some have stopped using social media altogether, so I needed a new way to gather the photos. This is when Dropbox came in! Three years ago, I created a File Request for the calendar photos, sent the link to the whole family… and that’s it. The photo’s simply rolled in throughout the year. Every so often I would send a reminder to add their best pics using the file request.

By the end of the year I had more than enough photos, many that were never seen before as they were just stored in one of our phones until that point. This year, since we hadn’t been able to see each other as much as usual, I created the Christmas Family Calendar for my Grandparents as normal, and then as a special bonus I was able to send the full collection of photos to the whole family as a digital memory book for the year.

Emma_0-1620729171847.png

Family pixelated to protect identities. Group photos taken prior to Covid-19 restrictions.

Thanks Sheena! I might have to steal this for myself…

How do you use Dropbox to share family memories? 

1 Reply 1

Laureline
Community Manager

I love this! 
This makes me think - how cool would it be to take the Dropbox folder linked to your file request, and use it to feed a digital frame (I know, so 2000's 😬) for your grandparents? Like that, they would have a constant feed of new pictures all year long from all their grandchildren. Wondering if anyone ever did that?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Laureline Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?