cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping Dropbox to network drive in Windows 7

Mapping Dropbox to network drive in Windows 7

Peter C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to map Dropbox to a network drive and link to my Dropbox in the cloud versus the Dropbox on my computer. I want to conserve my hard drive space and access, open, and save files to my Dropbox through my network drive. I can do this with other cloud-based storage systems. Can I do this with Dropbox?

23 Replies 23

Wayne J.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to point my drop box to my mapped network drives from my NAS it is stupid that I cannot.

Mark V.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Use NetDrive: www.netdrive.net

Victory D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Onedrive webdav which is really nice. 

hemancuso
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We develop ExpanDrive for both Mac and Windows for this very purpose - it transforms your dropbox connection into a Network drive. The file data is all accessed on-demand and isn't sync'd to your machine. We were the first ones to develop this technology for dropbox and have been refining it for years. A great way to access multiple dropbox accounts as well as freeing up hard drive space.

Wayne J.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Found this and it works

1    Create a folder on any local drive
    Example
    (c:\Dropbox)

2   Hit the Windows or start button and choose Run:

3   Type: CMD to bring up a command prompt window

4   Load a command prompt and use the following :
    subst x: c:\Dropbox
    This will create what looks like a normal internal drive linking to that directory

5   Open Dropbox and Choose advanced installation. Choose the folder you’ve created (x:\)
    Finish Dropbox installation

6   Quit dropbox immediately after finishing installation

7   Return to command prompt and remove the virtual drive mapping with
    subst x: /d

8   Map the drive to your network drive/NAS.
    Open any windows window
    Press Map Network Drive
    Assign the Mapped Drive to X
    Choose the Network Drive Location you’d like Dropbox to sync to

9   Re-open Dropbox

Oleg1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Guys it all works even you can change sharing title. All you do just right click and in properties share as you need and also add permissions and remove password protected sharing in networking

SwanCobb
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

You should be aware that Dropbox is working on a "Project Infinite" feature: https://blogs.dropbox.com/business/2016/04/announcing-project-infinite/

No ETA, but it'll allow you to display the entire contents of your Dropbox on your Dropbox folder without taking up any storage on the local disk until you need it.

SwanCobb
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
How is this working out for you? I know that local disks support modification changes to files and folders, but network shares do not. Even if you fool Dropbox using SUBST, you might want to test and see if your modified files are being uploaded to Dropbox. Dropbox will upload changes each time Dropbox is started (since it does an initial sync), but don't be surprised if subsequent file changes are not sent to Dropbox until Dropbox restarts.

An easy way to test is to:
* start Dropbox,
* wait for the full sync (green checkbox on Dropbox system tray),
* create a text file in a Dropbox folder.
* Does the new text file get uploaded?
* now edit the text file.
* Does the edited text file get uploaded to Dropbox?

houdyk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I expected the same fucntionality to be available now out of the box. All new laptops basically have mo more disk space,so all need to be in the cloud.

I could set up onedrive and other services as a mapped drive relatively easy, but dropbox is still pending.

David F.71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Note sure if you're still interested in a cloud service with mapped drive, but Box (not Dropbox) just came out with a mapped drive option - called Box Drive of course.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Oleg1 New member | Level 1
    Wayne J.8 New member | Level 1
    hemancuso Explorer | Level 3
    Victory D. New member | Level 2
    Mark V.17 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?