cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage space

Storage space

saxdaling
Explorer | Level 4

I see I am not alone with this subject. But I find no answer. I use the free version giving me 2Gb. I use 86 Mb. Some of the files are shared with 2 or three other people. Even if I multiply half of the files with 3 I won´t get more than 200 Mb.

Dropbox says that I use 2,25 Gb and must upgrade.

And when I click on the Dropbox icon it says that it is trying to synchronize some 8000 files !!!!! Flabbergasting. Why? As far as I know Dropbox should not bother about any other files than those say 50 files that are stored there.

You must obviously have a master degree in Dropbox to understand something so extremely simple as sharing av few files with colleagues.

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @saxdaling - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify what is reported in your plan tab in regards to your quota?

Also, do you see any files or folders taking up space in your homepage or the backups page?

A screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar/system tray would also help!

Thank you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

saxdaling
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I will try to answer. The plan tab says ordinary files 2,2 Gb, Shared files 25,1 Mb.

The homepage shows files occupying 86,5 Mb.

The back up page, which I had no idea exists, shows that I have 2.17 Gb files. But I can not see the files. I se just one map, called PC. All I can do is delete, change name or download.

I have absolutely no idea which files are being copied to the backup page. What happens if I download them all? Why can I not study the files where they are before deciding what to do with them?

If I want to continue with backup to DB can I choose which maps to backup or do I have to backup all files?

Where can I change the backup scheme?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @saxdaling, sorry to jump in here.

So, it seems that you have enabled our backup feature on your computer and the backups are taking up your space.

Are you not able to open this "PC" folder in your backups page?

Downloading them won't really do anything, it will just download a copy of the files to your computer.

If you want to disable the backup feature, you can do so by following these steps.

After you've done so, if you see that these files are safely stored on your computer, you can definitely use the delete option, to delete them and free up your Dropbox space.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    saxdaling Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?